Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     dynamic sizing of graph

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
dynamic sizing of graph
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi

I am displaying a graph which displays records daily.
If the user selects select the dates for One Year, my Graph is looking very much cluttered.

Is it possible to dynamically adjust the size of graph (print area) based on the Input

Awaiting for a Solution

Regards
Navaneeth

Expert
posted Hide Post
You could use Dialog Manager to compute the width and height of the graph based on the selected parameter.

ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 400
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 205

The 205 and 400 could become Dialog Manager variables:

-SET &GHAXIS = IF &PARM1 EQ 'YEAR' THEN '1000' ELSE '400';
-SET &GVAXIS = IF &PARM1 EQ 'YEAR' THEN '600' ELSE '205';

GRAPH FILE ...
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS &GHAXIS
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS &GVAXIS
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Navaneeth,

Has this issue been resolved? Did Francis' suggestion help you? Many thanks to Francis's help. Smiler

I ran a quick search on Focal Point old topics and came across the following, which may be of interest:

Dynamic Graphs

scatter plots, with text _labelled data points

Graph - Axis Min/Max Values

Hope this helps. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
No, it did not.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Navaneeth,

The method suggested by Francis is one I would recommend you follow up. The way that the VAXIS and HAXIS settings are used will resize your overall graph area as you have requested.

If you are content with the overall graph area sizing and you want to change the rectangle in which your graph is plotted then I would recommend downloading a copy of the Graphing Manual (check tech documentation link above) and search out the method setRect, which has the syntax "setRect(object ,new Rectangle(VC left,VC top,VC width,VC height));". This manual should be invaluable to you if you are going to be concentrating on producing graphs.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Tony A is right about the manual being very helpful but only to a point. It helps document the individual functions but it's weak in seeing how the functions work with each other and how they fit into the overall FEX. Complete examples instead of code snippets would go far in solving this problem.

I was trying to develop a simiar dynamic graphing capability except I wanted to size based on the actual number of datapoints. This didn't seem to be possible with the graph engine but might have been possible with a pre-pass of the data (to calculate the optimum size) and then a call to the actual graph functions. I ran out of time and never got back to it so our graphs are kind of sloppy looking at the datapoint extremes.

I think if you check out the first link in Kerry's post you'll see a possible solution towards the end of the thread.