Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Bubble graphs
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I need help on getting started with creating a bubble graph. I need to sum two percent fields by medical group. The medical groups need to appear in the legend to the right side of the bubble graph. I do not understand how to specify at least three Y axis fields. I basically have experience with line and bar graphs. This will be my first bubble graph. I also need to know if a quadrant bubble graph can be done in WebFocus. Thanks.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Michele-
Last year while using WF7.1.1, I was not able to generate a bubble graph. I opened a case and documented the situation using the car file but did not get any help.
I hope that you are using a later release.

jimster06
DevStu WF 7.6.11
W7
HTML, PDF, EXL2K

Posts: 252 | Location: USA | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I am working working with release 7.1.6. Thanks for the input.

Expert
posted Hide Post
michele, i seem to recall being told that bubble was either not or no longer supported...( i could be fuzzy)...
and at summit 2yrs ago i do clearly remember talking to the guy in charge of ThreeD grahics, the 3rd party vendor, about proper quadrants, and he didn't seem to get it, which is too bad. So, i wrote my own.
so at summit this year, inquire with vigor!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
At a previous Client I was asked to knock up some samples using the Chart Director product (CD Gallery) and, although quite fiddly, the results had a better look than the 3D engine.

The license is quite cheap as well!!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Michele,

Below there is a sample code for Bubble chart.
This example is producing at our place the chart exactly as we like to have it.
It shows real bubbles and while hovering the mouse over a bubble it displays the 3 values for that bubble.

You have to use 3 value columns as a bubble chart is designed for exactly this purpose:

• a value for the x-axis
  • a value for the y-axis
  • a value for the size of the bubbles

The ACROSS in your case will be the medical groups, I guess.

SET GRAPHENGINE=NEW
SET GRAPHEDIT = OFF

GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM RETAIL_COST DEALER_COST SALES
ACROSS COUNTRY
ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH BUBBLE
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHEDIT OFF
ON GRAPH SET BARNUMB OFF
ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
ON GRAPH SET VZERO OFF
ON GRAPH SET GRID ON
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *
setUseDefaultBubbleMarker(false);
setToolTipDisplay(true);
setO1LabelDisplay(true);
setO1AxisSide(0);
setMarkerDisplay(true);
setConnectLineMarkers(false);
setConnectScatterMarkers(false);
setO1LabelDisplay(true);
setO1AxisSide(0);
setO1MajorGridDisplay(true);
setO1MajorGridStyle(0);
setO1MinorGridDisplay(false);
setAxisAssignment(0,0);
setSeriesType(0,1);
setAxisAssignment(1,0);
setSeriesType(1,1);
setAxisAssignment(2,0);
setY1LabelDisplay(true);
setY1AxisSide(0);
setY1MajorGridDisplay(true);
setY1MajorGridStyle(0);
setY1MinorGridDisplay(false);
setTextFormatPreset(getY1Label(),1);
setPieFeelerTextDisplay(1);
setPieLabelDisplay(0);
setTextFormatPreset(getPieSliceLabel(),1);
setLegendDisplay(true);
setLegendTextAutofit(true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY1Title(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY1Label(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY2Title(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY2Label(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getO1Title(),true);
setO1LabelAutofit(true);
setPlace(true);
ENDSTYLE
END

Roland

Prod: WF 7.1.5
Test: WF 7.6.4
Unix Sun Solaris
HTML, PDF, EXL2K

Posts: 54 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
oh thats so good to know, thanks switzerland.
x and y axis (whats the plural of axis, is it axes?, no it can't be) still seem to be linear, tho , michelle. so still no proper quadrant analysis, unless you do all your own data transforms first, and then build a linear map of your non-linear data ... which would work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Roland, thanks so much. The code does work, however I need the legend to appear to the right of the graph. When I added the following three lines of code to display the legend to the right of the graph, the X axis numbers are being chopped off at the bottom. Just add these three lines of code to the code that you sent and you will see what I'm talkinbiggest bubble always ends up on the bottom layer g about. I have no idea what is causing this to happen. In addition, the user wants the biggest bubble to always end up on the bottom layer. Do you know if this is doable?

setLegendAutomatic(true);
setLegendPosition(2);
setTextRotation(getX1Label(),0);

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Michele,

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Michele,

Disable the last set method for the applet: setPlace(true); (I put it in comment). Sometimes this ideally positioning option is not the ideal solution...

Additionally I put the following into the GRAPHSTYLE to position the graph rectangle a bit more:
setRect(getFrame(),new Rectangle(-14000,-12000,24000,26000));
I guess you will have to play around with this for your specific needs.

Biggest bubble on bottom layer? I am not sure what you mean by layer. If it is the bottom line of the graph, then I have to say, that the position of the bubble is controlled by the first two verb values for an across value. The first gives position on x the second on y. So every bubble is positioned and sized depending on its values! That's normally the purpose of a chart, isn't it?

About quadrant: if you mean just having the chart divided into quadrants by plotting two lines (x and y), this is done as you can see in my example. If you want to control then there are a couple of methods which I guess are supposed to do the job. Look up setQuadrantLineCountX/Y and setQuadrantLineValueX/Y. I never played with these, so I can not be any more specific about that.

I hope this helps you to take some more steps towards your target!

Roland

Unix Sun Solaris
HTML, PDF, EXL2K

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Roland, you are the guru for graphs. Thanks so much for your suggestions. I commented out the last set method and made some other adjustments and my bubble graph looks good. I would have never thought of disabling that particular set method. If I may, I'd like to pick your brain one more time. I specified a blue background color for my graph headings. See code below. At first the graph was being displayed in pdf format and when the graph was printed, the background color displayed. But, now the graph is going to be displayed in a html screen. When I printed out the html graph display, the background color disappears. Also the html display printout prints "Powered by WebFOCUS" at the top left-hand corner and prints "http://webfoct1/ibi_appps/WFServlet" at the bottom left-hand corner. Is there anyway to get the background color for the headings to display on the printout? Is there a way to get rid of the wording that automatically appears at the top and bottom left-hand corners of the printout? Thanks again for all your help.

TYPE=HEADING,
BACKCOLOR='BLUE',
$
TYPE=FOOTING,
BACKCOLOR='NONE',
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=1,
OBJECT=TEXT,
ITEM=2,
COLOR='WHITE',
BOTTOMGAP=0.015889,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=1,
OBJECT=FIELD,
ITEM=1,
COLOR='WHITE',
BOTTOMGAP=0.015889,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=1,
OBJECT=FIELD,
ITEM=2,
COLOR='WHITE',
BOTTOMGAP=0.015889,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=1,
OBJECT=TEXT,
ITEM=3,
COLOR='WHITE',
BOTTOMGAP=0.015889,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=2,
OBJECT=TEXT,
ITEM=1,
COLOR='WHITE',
BOTTOMGAP=0.015889,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Michele,

Thanky for the flattery. I just happen to have fighted against bubble charts when we upgraded to 715 last year.
But I'm afraid I'm of no help anymore. I put your code into my program and all is showing up correctly and as expected.

I sounds to me like this heading and footing lines are produced by the settings of your browser. If you are using MSIE, then check out how the page for printing is set up. It seems to me that the 'Powered by WebFocus', is the same that appears in the blue title bar of the window. This could be overwritten by TITLETEXT='your own title' in the stylesheet. The footing seems to be the url of the printed page.

But this is all just guessing. As mentioned above in my place there is the backcolor printed and there are no heading or footing lines.

I hope you will get answers from other people.

I do not know wether I will be checking this forum in the next 10 days on a regular basis. I am attending summit. So maybe any more questions will take their time to get answered.

Roland

Unix Sun Solaris
HTML, PDF, EXL2K

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Roland. Your suggestion about setting the TitleText worked. I was able to get rid of the wording "Powered by WebFOCUS by making the TITLETEXT= ' '. I have a case opened up with IBI regarding this issue. I will also check Focal Point regularly to see if anyone responds to my message. Have a good time at the Summit.

Expert
posted Hide Post
'quadrant' , fyi, means the midpoint of each axis is non-linear. do you think this might be doable, now, Roland?

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Roland, when I ran your bubble graph program against the Car file I was able to hover over the bubbles to see the XYZ values. When I ran my program, which varies a little from yours, and hovered over the bubbles to see the XYZ values, I could only see the X and Y values. The X and Y values are percentages and the Z value is a dollar amount. I formatted the X and Y labels to appear as whole percentages which they do. But, when I hover over the bubbles the percentages appear in decimal format. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have pasted a portion of my code. Thanks again.

DEFINE FILE &PDFID
ADMITS_1000/D7-% = (((ADMITS_YR3/MM_YR3) * 12000) - ((ADMITS_YR2/MM_YR2) * 12000)) / ((ADMITS_YR2/MM_YR2) * 12000);
COST_ADMITS/D7-% = ((PAID_YR3/ADMITS_YR3) - (PAID_YR2/ADMITS_YR2)) / (PAID_YR2/ADMITS_YR2);
PMPM_12MR/D15.2M = PMPM_YR3;
A_1000/D7-% = ADMITS_1000/100;
C_ADMITS/D7-% = COST_ADMITS/100;
END

GRAPH FILE &PDFID
HEADING
" - <+0> Inpatient "
"Utilization and Cost Trends (Admits) - Medical/Surgical/ICU Rollup "
SUM
ADMITS_1000/D7-%
COST_ADMITS/D7-%
PMPM_12MR/D15.2M
SNAPSHOT_MO NOPRINT
ACROSS HGROUP
FOOTING
""12 Month Rolling, Incurred through Paid through Completed Data "
"Proprietary and Confidential "
"Actuarial Services "Source: &PDFNM; Snapshot period: ; Document created (Date/Time): &TODAY_DT "
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH BUBBLE
ON GRAPH SET BARNUMB OFF
ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
ON GRAPH SET VZERO OFF
ON GRAPH SET GRID OFF
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *
setToolTipDisplay(true);
setLegendAutomatic(true);
setLegendPosition(5);
setTextRotation(getX1Label(),0);
setUseDefaultBubbleMarker(false);
setMarkerSizeDefault(100);
setRect(getTitle(),new Rectangle(-4888,11000,29806,1939));
setFontSizeVC(getTitle(),1222);
setTitleString("Utilization and Cost (Admits)");

setY1TitleDisplay(true);
setY1TitleString("Cost Per Admit");
setY1TitleAutofit(false);
setY1LabelAutofit(false);
setFontSizeVC(getY1Title(),888);
setFontSizeVC(getY1Label(),888);

setX1TitleDisplay(true);
setX1TitleString("Admits per 1000");
setX1TitleAutofit(false);
setX1LabelAutofit(false);
setFontSizeVC(getX1Title(),888);
setFontSizeVC(getX1Label(),888);
setX1AxisSide(0);
setX1MajorGridDisplay(false);
setX1MinorGridDisplay(false);
setMarkerDisplay(true);
setConnectLineMarkers(false);
setConnectScatterMarkers(false);
setO1LabelDisplay(true);
setO1AxisSide(0);
setO1MajorGridDisplay(true);
setO1MajorGridStyle(0);
setO1MinorGridDisplay(false);
setAxisAssignment(0,0);
setAxisAssignment(1,0);
setAxisAssignment(2,0);
setY1AxisSide(0);
setY1MajorGridDisplay(false);
setY1MinorGridDisplay(false);
setTextFormatPreset(getY1Label(),2);
setTextFormatPreset(getX1Label(),2);
setTextFormatPattern(getY1Label(),"###");
setPieFeelerTextDisplay(1);
setPieLabelDisplay(0);
setTextFormatPreset(getPieSliceLabel(),1);
setRiserBorderMode(1);
setSeriesDefaultTransparentBorderColor(true);
setUseSeriesBorderDefaults(true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY2Title(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY2Label(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getO1Title(),true);
-*setPlace(true);
ENDSTYLE

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Roland, I resolved my last issue. I copied your code into my program and made a few modifications to the display of the graph and when I click any bubble the XYZ values display. Thanks again for that invaluable code.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I have the following api statement in my graph program. Does anyone know how I can get my legend to display in a larger font in conjunction with the following two api statements? Thanks.

setLegendPosition(0);
setRect(getLegendArea(),new Rectangle(3999,-999,5699,24349));