Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Report caster, excel multiple pages

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Report caster, excel multiple pages
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi all

I have a problem that is causing me headaches
I have 17 fex that are filling up a excel template that have 15 sheets ( tabs ).
I’m trying to have report caster run the reports one after the others to fill the excel template but it won’t allow me to make more than 1 task sent to the library.
I tried to add “ execute “ at the end of each fex but report caster runs only the first.
Here is how the fex are working
SRP01 to SRP05 create Focus databases
SRP06 open template 00, fill page 3 than save it as template01
SRP07 open template 01, fill page 4 than save it as template02
SRP07 open template 02, fill page 5 than save it as template03
And so on to template 10, fill page 13 than open the excel workbook
Hoping someone can help me make this work on report caster
“Please note that I have no knowledge of java and all these other programming language”

Thank you in advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

7.6. / Win 7 / Excel

Posts: 56 | Location: St-Laurent QC Canada | Registered: February 04, 2009Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Why did'nt i think of that, wait, I know why,
I haven't got a clue what you are talking about

Don't know compound excel report or EXL2K OPEN or EXL2K CLOSE

Could you please provide or advise where I can find sample code to do just that

7.6. / Win 7 / Excel

Posts: 56 | Location: St-Laurent QC Canada | Registered: February 04, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Search on EXL2K OPEN.
Over 20 pages of threads...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sorry, wasn't trying to have attitude, just tried to have a little humor, sorry you took it that way.

Yes it is 4 year we have webfocus but i work on it on average 5 to 8 hours a week only, also took courses and started usin the software 6 months after only.

All our reports are very basic and this one is my first very complex one.

Dod not mean to be arrogant, belive me I appreciate all the help all of you can give

Again I am deeply sorry it did not sounded like I entended, I will be more carefull from now on

7.6. / Win 7 / Excel

Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks YKK for your sincere response back. It's really appreciated and helpful that you clarified.

This is a reminder to everyone that we want the Focal Point Community to be a friendly community where developers can collaborate and help each other. Please do not respond back to posts in a negative tone. If you feel that someone is being negative please contact me.

If anyone can offer YKK further assistance or elaborate that would be very helpful since this is his first complex report. I'm sure there are others that my have the same question.

Thanks,

Kathleen Butler
Information Builders

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kathleen Butler,

Posts: 391 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi YKK,

I checked with our technical leads at Information Builders. If the information below is not enough please don't hesitate to open a case with our tech support so we can help you further.

While email distribution will allow for multiple tasks in the same schedule, producing several reports which show up as attachments in an email, Library distribution only allows for 1 task, with one report output, to be stored in the library. So to put several reports together in a library distribution, you need to be put together as one compound report.

Compound reports have to be developed through developer studio’s gui tools, eg, Document Composer, and automatically generated in order to be supported by Caster. Due to the complexity of the required internal syntax, compound reports that are put together or edited manually are not supported if they have problems with Caster distribution.

If bursting is to be used, the compound report has to be a coordinated compound report, with a matching first BY field for all the subreports.

Take a look at this section rom pages 188-189 of the 7703 ReportCaster Development and Library Content manual (DN4501007.0511).

Manually Coded Excel Compound Reports

Excel Compound Reports enables you to generate multiple worksheet reports using the
EXL2K output format.
The syntax of Excel Compound Reports is identical to that of PDF Compound Reports. By
default, each of the component reports from the compound report is placed in a new Excel
worksheet (analogous to a new page in PDF). If the NOBREAK keyword is used, the next
report follows the current report on the same worksheet (analogous to starting the report
on the same page in PDF).

Output, whether sent to the client using PCHOLD or saved in a file using HOLD, is generated
in Microsoft Web Archive format. This format is labeled Single File Web Page in the Excel
Save As dialog box. Excel provides the conventionally given file suffixes: .mht or .mhtml.
WebFOCUS uses the same .xht suffix that is used for EXL2K reports. Since the output is
always a single file, ReportCaster can distribute it.
The components of an Excel compound report can be FORMULA or PIVOT reports. For more
information about the Excel Compound Reports feature, see the “Creating Reports With
WebFOCUS Language” manual.

Note:
Excel 2002 (Office XP) or higher must be installed. Excel Compound Reports will not
work with earlier versions of Excel since they do not support the Web Archive file format.
Bursting is not supported with Excel Compound Reports.

Compound Reports and Coordinated Compound Reports

ReportCaster can distribute compound reports developed using the Document Composer in
Developer Studio in AHTML, DHTML, EXL2K, PDF, and PPT formats.
ReportCaster can burst and distribute coordinated compound reports developed using the
Document Composer in Developer Studio in DHTML, PDF, and PPT formats.

Again, please open a case with Technical Support and we'll be happy to further assist you.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Butler

Posts: 391 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You try to do this with reportcaster.
But does it work as one single fex without reportcaster.

So do you have one fex that holds all the others from srp01 till srp17

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sorry for late reply, i didn't have much time to work on my report.

I am currently trying to insert 19 of the fex into the first one, I don't know if this is what a compound report is but so far it seems to work outside reportcaster, once I finish this, I will try it in report caster.

Thank you all.

7.6. / Win 7 / Excel

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Still not working but have no time to work on it at the moment

Thank you anyway to all people who tried to help

7.6. / Win 7 / Excel

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Just a note

I gor the answer from the expert at the summit

They suggested the following

Open the first report in text, add -RUN at the end then copy the second report in text, add -RUN and keep on doing that until the last report.

It worked perfectly.

Great summit.

Thank you all

7.6. / Win 7 / Excel

posted Hide Post
Hello,
I have a program that is generating multiple sheets in EXCEL. In the program (using Text Editor), I use EXL2K OPEN for the first TABLE and then the last one EXL2K CLOSE. When I attempt to set up a schedule through ReportCaster, it generates an error. However, if I set it up with one of the TABLES and take off the EXL2K OPEN to just EXL2K then it works. Can you assist so that all the tabs can be generated using Report Caster? Thank you.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Terri,
Please, stop posting the same question over multiple treads.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post