Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     DRILLMENUITEM -Restrictions

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
DRILLMENUITEM -Restrictions
 Login/Join

<msam>
posted
Hi All,
I'm using DRILLMENUITEM option in the styling,but when I try to include morethan 5 parameters my drill option doesn't work,Can anyone suggest me the reason.

Regards,
MSAM

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think you may want to take a look at this:
olap on causes agent crash?

And, what version are you on? How about updating your signature?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<msam>
posted
CAN YOU LET ME KNOW HOW TO UPDATE THE SIGNATURE..?

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Toolbar above Topic
Click on GO
Personal Zone - Profile

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
i recently stumbled upon a DrillMenuItem limitation in Internet Explorer. Since IE has a built-in limitation of about 2000 characters for the max length of a URL, if your drillmenu has too many items, it eventually exceeds this length and the drillmenu will simply not show up when you click on it. How many items is dependent on how long your paramter strings are. for me, i was generally seeing it putter out around 30 items or so.

incidentally, Firefox does not have such a restriction, and can deal with a near-infinite number of menu items.

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6

Master
posted Hide Post
if anyone figures this out I'll buy them lunch.

the olap and drillmenuitem just don't seem to work well together.

I'm just hoping that we can make this work on the IBM version of webfocus called webquery.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can actually fix the DRILLMENUITEM length problem. I built a prototype about a year ago that would re-write the javascript functions and insert my own. This allowed a user to code the multiple drills as per normal, and not have to worry about the too many items or length or whatever.

Unfortunately, I cannot find my prototype, and I cannot remember who I sent it tooFrowner If I can find it, I will post here.

If anyone want to try, the logic was pretty simple.
1) Create a JS file that would loop through the anchor tags.
2) Initialize an object for each drill menu item, and load all the key value pairs into the object.
3) Reset the menu items to call your own JS function to execute request.
4) Your new JS function would submit a form with all the values to appropriate target.
5) Include your JS file into your fex using the SET JSURL setting.

Any takers?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, I cannot find my prototype, and I cannot remember who I sent it to

dhagen, then it doesn't exist, does it? Big Grin

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I exists in my noodle ... if I just knew how to extract itWink I may have to enlist the help of my muse (aka beer).

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
MSAM, make sure 1) you have fewer than 12 DRILLMENUITEMS for one field, and 2) that your parameter names are as short as possible, and that you pass no long string values, just codes. Test your drilldown by first starting without any DRILLMENUITEMs... just an ordinary drilldown. Then turn that ordinary drilldown into a DRILLMENUITEM with only 1 choice (yes, that works), then add the rest 1 by 1, just like chemistry class, to see where it breaks.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ok, this has not been completely tested, but whoever is interested can change the end result.

All this does is change the existing arguments in the drill options that contains all the key value pairs to a simple array of an array object. The following was done with 716. This is way simpler then what I suggested above.

Focexec with 48 drill items:
SET JSURL=/approot/baseapp/fixmultidrill.js
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
     CNT.MODEL AS 'Models'
BY COUNTRY
HEADING
"DRILL START"
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     LEFTMARGIN=0.250000,
     RIGHTMARGIN=0.250000,
     TOPMARGIN=0.250000,
     BOTTOMMARGIN=0.250000,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     FONT='ARIAL',
     SIZE=8,
     COLOR='BLACK',
     BACKCOLOR='NONE',
     STYLE=NORMAL,
     TOPGAP=0.013889,
     BOTTOMGAP=0.027778,
$
TYPE=DATA,
     BACKCOLOR=( 'WHITE' RGB(240 240 240) ),
$
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=N1,
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 1',
          FOCEXEC=focalpoint_car_drillto_1(COUNTRY=N1 ANOTHER=N2 THIS_DATE='&DATE.EVAL'),
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 2',
          FOCEXEC=focalpoint_car_drillto_2(COUNTRY=N1 ANOTHER=N2 THIS_DATE='&DATE.EVAL' THIS_TIME='&TOD.EVAL'),
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 3',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 4',
          FOCEXEC=focalpoint_car_drillto_2(COUNTRY=N1 ANOTHER=N2 THIS_DATE='&DATE.EVAL' THIS_TIME='&TOD.EVAL'),
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 5',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 6',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 7',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 8',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 9',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 10',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 11',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 12',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 13',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 14',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 15',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 16',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 1',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 2',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 3',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 4',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 5',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 6',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 7',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 8',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 9',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 1',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 2',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 3',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 4',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 5',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 6',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 7',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 8',
          TARGET='_blank',
     DRILLMENUITEM='Drill 9',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
          TARGET='_blank',
$
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=B*,
     STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=TITLE,
     BORDER-TOP=OFF,
     BORDER-BOTTOM=LIGHT,
     BORDER-LEFT=OFF,
     BORDER-RIGHT=OFF,
     BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR='SILVER',
     STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
     SIZE=10,
     STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=SUBTOTAL,
     STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=ACROSSVALUE,
     STYLE=BOLD,
     JUSTIFY=CENTER,
$
TYPE=ACROSSTITLE,
     STYLE=BOLD,
     JUSTIFY=CENTER,
$
TYPE=GRANDTOTAL,
     STYLE=BOLD,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

/approot/baseapp/fixmultidrill.js
var kVP = new Array();
var kVC = 0;

function changeAllA() {

var anchorList = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
     for (var i = 0; i < anchorList.length; i++) {
          var hrefBefore = anchorList[i].href;
          var remJSFunction = anchorList[i].href.substring(23, anchorList[i].href.length-2);
          var aSplit = remJSFunction.split(",");
          var k=0;
          kVP[kVC] = new Array();
          for (var j=1; j<aSplit.length; j+=3) {
               kVP[kVC][k] = aSplit[j].substring(1,aSplit[j].length-1);
               aSplit[j] = 'kVP[' + kVC + '][' + k++ + ']'; 
          }
          anchorList[i].href = "JavaScript:MDitemClick(";
          for (var j=0; j<aSplit.length; j++) {
               if (j == 0) {
                   anchorList[i].href += aSplit[j];
               } else {
                   anchorList[i].href += "," + aSplit[j];
               }
          }
          anchorList[i].href += ");"
          kVC++;
     }

}

if (window.addEventListener) {
	window.addEventListener('load', 'changeAllA', false);
} else if (window.attachEvent) {
	window.attachEvent('onload', changeAllA);
} else {
	alert("not supported");
}

I know its not the best code, but It's all I could do on short notice.

To test, run without the JSURL setting, then with.

Expert
posted Hide Post
This will most likely fix Jason K's problem and he'll owe you big-time.

Could you explain in a nutshell what the JS function is doing?

Thanks very much,

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sure, If you build a multi-drill, and do a view source, you'll notice that the anchor (drill down link) looks like the following:

<A HREF="javascript:MDitemClick(0,'COUNTRY=ENGLAND&ANOTHER=4&THIS_DATE=10/03/07','',
 ... ,47,'COUNTRY=ENGLAND&ANOTHER=4&THIS_DATE=10/03/07&THIS_TIME=15.28.52','');

The comma delimited values are broken down in groups of 3, where the first value is the drill down array number starting from 0 to the total number of drill items (48 - 1 in my case), the second value is the expanded key value pairs for the parameters that we added to the drill down link when we built it, and some third value that always seems to be blank.

All this JS is doing is:
1) retrieve the value for each href.
2) extract the key value pairings (or parameter names and values), and set the value of a multi-dimensional array to that key value pairing. kVP[x][y] is the multi-dimensional array that will contain now contain the values (e.g.
kVP[0][0] = 'COUNTRY=ENGLAND&ANOTHER=4&THIS_DATE=10/03/07'
).
3) rebuilding the href while substituting the key value parings to the multi-dimensional array, thereby making the entire href significantly smaller.

The end result is of the above href would be:

<A HREF="javascript:MDitemClick(0,kVP[0][0],'', ... ,47,kVP[0][47],'');

Does that help?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks very much. This should be exciting for those multidrilldowners out there.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
sweet!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
It's a great idea, at least I think it is...I really dont' understand it. Wink
Thanks dhagen!

Unfortunately, it didn't keep mine from crashing, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

the first lines of my fex look like this now.
-SET &ECHO=ALL;
SET JSURL=/apps/baseapp/fixmultidrill.js
-DEFAULT &CHR = 'BYMONTH';

note, there's no dash on the set JSURL line.

I created the fixmultidrill.js in my baseapp directory...
Y:\ibi\apps\baseapp
fixmultidrill.js, and I just copy and pasted the code that dhagen posted. I didn't see anything that was specific to my system.

Did I do this right?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'd stick a -RUN after SET JSURL, just in case...

SET JSURL=/apps/baseapp/fixmultidrill.js
-RUN

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jason,

If you are getting crashes, then this technique is not going to help with that. This technique cleans things up POST delivery. This technique was posted to help with the original question of this thread. Open a problem with CSS to see if they can help you with your crashing agent problem.

Sorry

Master
posted Hide Post
dhagen:
check out case 22862032. opened it back on April 02.

We were excited about the code dhagen posted because when we delete all but 2 drilldowns, the .fex runs just fine.

Unfortunately, management wants the drilldowns AND the olap.

Thanks again for the help, I'm always taking any suggestions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason K.,