Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] WF8.201M Passing the fex name to an HTML parameter

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] WF8.201M Passing the fex name to an HTML parameter
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have a self-serve page that was created in an earlier release of WF. I inherited this self-serve app. A fex that lists all of the parameters needed to run the reports was created. Each control's parameter comes from that fex. The parameter fex is referenced in the Load and Run task in Tasks and Animations. The parameter that is binded to a list box that reads a table that has the fex names and display names no longer works. Therefore, the reports do not run. I get the message "FOCEXEC cannot be found." Pasted below are the 2 fexs that show how the fex name (&RPT_NAME) gets passed. I did not show all of the parameters since they are getting passed and work fine. Evidently, the new version of WF 8.201M is not accepting this method of passing the fex name. Thanks.

1) Parameter fex
-DEFAULT &RPT_NAME           = '';
-DEFAULT &WFFMT              = '';
-DEFAULT &SELF_SERV          = 'Y';

-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE fexname_parameter.fex

2) The include file that has the &RPT_NAME parameter

-DEFAULT &WFFMT='';
-DEFAULT &RPT_NAME = '';

-INCLUDE &RPT_NAME

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're doing here.
But, check out the use of the &FOCFEXNAME variable.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I'm not exactly sure what you're doing here.
But, check out the use of the &FOCFEXNAME variable.

Is this what you mean?
-DEFAULT &RPT_NAME = '&FOCFEXNAME';

-INCLUDE &RPT_NAME

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Guru
posted Hide Post
Check with your browser in your self service page with F12 the request that is being send to WebFOCUS. Do you see a parameter there called RPT_NAME with the right value?

Or just do a

-TYPE Report name: &RPT_NAME

Do you get the foexec not found message based on the first request, or when it tries to include the file?

Not sure what your other requirements are, but if you have the .fex name in the page, then you might as well call the fex directly instead of including it.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Frans, This version of WebFocus doesn't seem to like the -INCLUDE &RPT_NAME. I get the message FOCEXEC cannot be found when WebFocus comes to that -INCLUDE statement in the fex. I need to come up with another way to pass the fex name to the &RPT_NAME parameter that gets binded to a listbox. Thanks.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Guru
posted Hide Post
You could try -MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE ...

But I would be suprised if that helps. Does the -TYPE show a correct filename?

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

We had to fully qualify the fex name by including the Full Path for the fex. Like below ...

Old version:

-INCLUDE common_proc

New version:

-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/your_folder/Standard_Reports/common/common_proc.fex

Don't know if this will help, but that works for us.

WebFocus 8.201M, Windows, App Studio

Posts: 227 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: August 12, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
his version of WebFocus doesn't seem to like the -INCLUDE &RPT_NAME

Have you tried: -INCLUDE &RPT_NAME.EVAL"?

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Doug, thanks for the suggestion. I added the .EVAL after the &RPT_NAME, but got this message "(FOC227) THE FOCEXEC PROCEDURE CANNOT BE FOUND:," WF is not passing the &RPT_NAME parameter when it is defined as -DEFAULT &RPT_NAME = '';
When I put a fexname there WF does recognize the fex name. the problem with that is that there are 12 fexnames that need to be considered. I tried using -IF statements so that I can reference all 12 fexes, but with no success. The list box that this parameter is binded to lists 12 reports that will run when the fex display name gets clicked.

I need a way to pass all 12 fex names using the &RPT_NAME parameter. Thanks again.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Michele

This might be an off the wall suggestion but I have used this in the past to solve other fex to fex parameter passing issues.

You can create a hold file in the foccache directory with the fex names in it and do a -READFILE of the foccache file to get them into the &RPT_NAME

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Not quite catching what you mean. Can you send me a quick Car File example? Thanks.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michele Brooks:

1) Parameter fex
-DEFAULT &RPT_NAME = '';
-DEFAULT &WFFMT = '';
-DEFAULT &SELF_SERV = 'Y';

2) The include file that has the &RPT_NAME parameter

-DEFAULT &WFFMT='';
-DEFAULT &RPT_NAME = '';

-INCLUDE &RPT_NAME

Which FOCEXEC is not found -- fexname_parameter.fex
[in "-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE fexname_parameter.fex", which becomes just "-INCLUDE fexname_parameter.fex" in the copy sent to the Reporting Server],
or whatever fex &RPT_NAME points to?

I suggest you can throw in "WHENCE fexname_parameter.fex" before the first Include, and "WHENCE &RPT_NAME" before the second; and "? PATH" in both places.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
WHENCE

j.gross, the FOCEXEC NOT FOUND occurs in the second -INCLUDE fex (-INCLUDE &RPT_NAME). Is this what you mean when you said to add WHENCE before the -INCLUDE fexname?
If so, I'm getting the error message: (FOC224) SYNTAX ERROR: ss_global_launch_app_ur.fex

-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE WHENCE ss_global_launch_app_ur.fex
? PATH

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
Does &RPT_NAME include the fully qualified path to the fex? Without it, it will produce that error, can't find it because it doesn't know where to look (Domain/folder,etc.).
quote:
I added the .EVAL after the &RPT_NAME, but got this message "(FOC227) THE FOCEXEC PROCEDURE CANNOT BE FOUND:," WF is not passing the &RPT_NAME parameter when it is defined as -DEFAULT &RPT_NAME = '';

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Michele

Nevermind my suggestion I played with it and couldn't get the results you are wanting...

Also whence appears to only be a UNIX/LINUX based command and does not work on Windows.

So what we need to know is where exactly is this fex on the reporting server or under the content folder in the WebFOCUS client.

If it on the reporting server Doug is right on you need to do

-INCLUDE appfolder/fexname_parameter.fex

where you substitute the name of the appfolder it resides in the syntax above.

If it is in the content area on the WebFOCUS client you will need to locate it and right mouse click on it an choose properties. It will give you the full path to it something like...

IBFS:/WFC/Repository/foldername/fexname_parameter.fex

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck. I've already done all of that. The problem appears to be the second fex that has the -INCLUDE &RPT_NAME. WF doesn't seem to want to pass that parameter.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This worked for me.

IBFS:/WFC/Repository/Public/Parameter.fex
-----------------------------------------
-DEFAULTH &RPT_NAME  = 'report1.fex';
-DEFAULTH &WFFMT     = 'HTML';
-DEFAULTH &SELF_SERV = 'Y';

baseapp/fexname_parameter.fex
-----------------------------
-INCLUDE &RPT_NAME

baseapp/report1.fex
-------------------
 SET PAGE=NOLEAD,STYLE=WARM
 TABLE FILE ibisamp/ggsales
 SUM UNITS
 BY REGION
 ACROSS PCD
 END

WebFOCUS 8.2.06

Posts: 210 | Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan | Registered: October 19, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
dbeagan, I tried your suggestion and I got the following error. Thanks.

0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE      6  IN PROCEDURE ADHOCRQ
 (FOC224) SYNTAX ERROR: -
 ----------v
 -MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE baseapp/ss_global_launch_app_ur.fex

This is what my fex files look like
ss_global_launch_content_ur.fex (baseapp Parameter fex)
-* File ss_global_launch_content_ur.fex
-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE baseapp/ss_global_launch_app_ur.fex

ss_global_launch_content_app_ur.fex (baseapp fexname parameter fex)
&RPT_NAME

report1.fex (baseapp report fex)
 SET PAGE=NOLEAD,STYLE=WARM
 TABLE FILE ibisamp/ggsales
 SUM UNITS
 BY REGION
 ACROSS PCD
 END

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes so then your fex with the -MRNOEDIT is in an app folder not in a MR Domain. (I know you did say "self-service" in your original problem statement.)

So just remove the -MRNOEDIT so you have:
-INCLUDE baseapp/ss_global_launch_app_ur.fex  

WebFOCUS 8.2.06

Posts: 210 | Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan | Registered: October 19, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
dbeagan, I used your example as a test and put all 3 fex files in the baseapp folder. In my application I do have the parameter fex in the domain folder so I know to put the -MRNOEDIT back in. The report did run, but how can I get it to run for 12 reports? Thanks.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you mean that you want to run any one of the 12 reports, something like this:

-TYPE &RPT_NAME.(report1.fex,report2.fex,report3.fex).

WebFOCUS 8.2.06

Guru
posted Hide Post
dbeagan, yes. The &RPT_NAME parameter gets passed to a list box that gets populated with the fex names via an XML file. When the user clicks on the display name in the list box that's associated with the fex name, the correct report needs to run. Thanks.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suggest you can throw in "WHENCE fexname_parameter.fex" before the first Include, and "WHENCE &RPT_NAME" before the second; and "? PATH" in both places.

Make that:
-? &RPT_NAME
? PATH
WHENCE &RPT_NAME
-RUN

-INCLUDE &RPT_NAME

The -RUN ensures the ? PATH and WHENCE commands are completed before the -INCLUDE is encountered.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
dbeagan and j.gross thank you both so much. It appears that I got my self-serve page to run the reports. The correct report runs when I click on the fex display name from the list box. I am now, however, getting an error message once the self-serve page displays that says "Local/EWK-XXXX-X (the Xs are numbers that change each time I run the page. Any ideas. Thanks very, very much.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Michele

Where does this message display? Does it happen with IE and Chrome etc?

I found no hits on techsupport..

Guru
posted Hide Post
Chuck, the message occurs when the report tries to display in IE

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Michele

It may be some kind of IE setting but I don't know. You probably should open a case with techsupport.