Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     changing the Format of a schedule after it is submitted

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
changing the Format of a schedule after it is submitted
 Login/Join

<Navin>
posted
All

Is there a way to change the format of a SCHEDULE that was submitted .

For example ,

I have a Daily schedule submitted with the format as XL . As far as it is retrieving less than 65000 rows i am ok. But if it is going to retrieve more than 65000 rows, then thats a problem for me.

So based on the rows i want to change the format as XL or CSV.

Is there a way anyone think off..

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Preprocess the data and set a variable to the foramt that you wish to use depending upon the value of &LINES.

Then have ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT &variablename.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The problem is that you have to specify the format of the output file in Caster and (according to the docs) that format overrides anything you put in the fex. There might not be a good solution for this one.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<Navin>
posted
Darin

My Plan is to

1. Run the query . Identify the total number of rows returned.
2. If the total rows is more than 65K , then update the BOTTASK table's SENDFORMAT column for the particular schedule.

willl this be good ??

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I would create the CSV file in all cases.

Once you have the output file you can open it in EXCEL if it has less then 65000 rows.
You can put an inline report that warns you if you have more than 65K records.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
<Navin>
posted
Frank ,

Actually , the requirement is basically XL.
So we go create an XL , but we have many instances which have more than 65K rows. SO we would like to apply some intelligence so that based on the rows , the schedule creates the file either in XL or CSV.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Navin
have your fex put out a 2-sheet exl2k, the first 65k on sheet 1 and the remainder on sheet 2.
Your users have enough memory in their desktops to open 65k? mine sure don't.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Plan is to

1. Run the query . Identify the total number of rows returned.
2. If the total rows is more than 65K , then update the BOTTASK table's SENDFORMAT column for the particular schedule.

The problem would be this: If you put these steps as part of the preprocess sequence, then the scheduled job has already been executed and if you change the sendformat after the fact, it would make no difference in the current job. you could schedule the job twice, but if your data is very dynamic, there's absolutely no guarantee that your result sets would be the same. For example, if the scheduled job executed resulting in less than 65k rows, the next job runs a minute later but the data has changed and there are now more than 65k rows.

You really don't have a good option with ReportCaster except to break it into spearate worksheets as susannah suggests. There are multiple posts regarding this technique if you use the search tab.

You could also have users upgrade their Excel version to 2007 where the 65k row limit has been raised to 2 million or something like that.

Last comment - IMO, reports that have over 65000 rows are not "reports" but data extracts and should handled in processes that treat them as such. There's my "soapbox" statement for the day. (Maybe)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post