Focal Point
[SOLVED] SET ALL = SQL

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3367026096

July 28, 2018, 05:25 AM
Ronibi
[SOLVED] SET ALL = SQL
Hello

in multiple discussions I read about SET ALL = SQL.
I can find information about SET ALL = OFF/ON/PASS but nowhere about SET ALL = SQL.
Has somebody a hint?

Regards
Ron

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.2.04
WebFocus Datamanagement Console 8.1M
DMC
July 28, 2018, 05:58 AM
Don Garland
There are plenty of posts, but I didn't get a hit just now with quick search of Technical Content.

http://forums.informationbuild...887047216#6887047216

The above post credits this to Walter Blood and there is no higher Authority, IMHO.

Is there an issue you are trying to solve?

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL
July 29, 2018, 05:14 PM
Waz
To be bluntly honest, if its not in the documentation, you shouldn't trust it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

July 29, 2018, 08:44 PM
David Briars
quote:
but nowhere about SET ALL = SQL

By any chance, do you mean the SHORTPATH setting? It has a setting of 'SQL'.:
SET SHORTPATH = {FOCUS|SQL} 

Per my 81 Developing Reporting Applications manual, the settings for ALL are ON, OFF, and PASS.

I list when you might need to SET SHORTPATH in a post on this thread:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9427064436?r=9187064436#9187064436

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Briars,
July 30, 2018, 12:29 PM
TobyMills
Hi Ron

I have to generally agree with Was here. SET ALL=SQL is not documented in the Command Language Reference all the way up to 8203.

So what happens is, if you decide to use it, and you have any problem in your code and ask for help from techsupport, they can tell you that you are using an undocumented feature and so there is no support for that. That leaves you really on your own.

Better to stick with things that are documented so you can tell IBI you're following the rules and things still don't seem to work right.

In that situation, IBI must pay more attention to your case because you are doing things that are in the docs.

Just be aware that your support options drop off pretty quickly if you're using undocumented commands.

Just my 2 cents having been a TSR.

Toby
July 30, 2018, 01:25 PM
Don Garland
quote:
I have to generally agree with Was here.

and Toby...

For example: FPRINT is a great function to convert numeric data with decimals, not documented and I'm having issues with it 8202. Had to add that to the upgrade plan.

One other thing, I see this when there is an error with SQL Passthrough;

END
-RUN
ALL=SQL IS IGNORED, SUPERSEDED BY SHORTPATH=SQL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Garland,

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL
July 31, 2018, 06:18 AM
Ronibi
Thnx for all the input guys.
I was just curious, because I couldn't find it anywhere. Now I know it is an undocumented feature. Maybe better not use it.

Case closed

Regards
Ron

WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.2.04
WebFocus Datamanagement Console 8.1M
DMC