Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
The question isn't so much why is this failing but rather how do I figure out what instance it is accessing. Let me explain.

The job runs in Report Caster just fine except when the DBA takes down the pre-prod PPRD database. So it appears that it is trying to access this table, STVTERM, in the PPRD instance rather than the GOLD, production instance. I can not for the life of me see where it is doing that. You can see the APP PATH lists GOLD ahead of PPRD. I've checked the properties of the fexs, there a 3 one, -INCLUDEs one, then it -INCLUDEs the third.

Are there any monitoring, traces that I can set up that might help?
Thanks,
Rick

Job Description:  SA0008WB - Reject Letters Data Extract 

User:  manuszr 
Procedure:  J1500donnr59 
Schedule ID:  S13sv19a9u0l 
Start Time:  2010-04-15 05:46:01 AM 
End Time:  2010-04-15 05:49:50 AM 
    Schedule Executed Due To NEXTRUNTIME 
   Starting task: SA0008WB - Reject Letters Data Extract 
   Task type: MR Standard Report 
   Task domain: admissio/admissio.htm 
   Retrieving MR report: app/sa0008wb_welcomereject_letters_data_extract 
   Connecting to server WFNT with execution id manuszr 
   Executing focexec. 
   Y 14042010 banner62.foc 
   FILECREATE 
   REPORT = REPORT1 
   DATE = 20100415 
   foccache 
   gold 
   odsg 
   sand 
   pprd 
   dev2 
   enrolrep 
   holdfile 
   baseapp 
   301files 
   dev5 
   dev3 
   whatsup 
   webfocus 
   ibisamp 
   odst 
   emas 
   honorsapptest 
   aim_prod 
   aim_test 
   honors 
   kronos 
   baseapp 
   SQLCODE IS 1034 (HEX: 0000040A) 
   CONNECT FAILURE 
   : ORA-01034: ORACLE not available 
   : ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist 
   : SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory 
   L (FOC1406) SQL OPEN CURSOR ERROR. : STVTERM 
   AFTER STVTERM 
   CURRTERM, &CURR_TERM 
   Task error: CONNECT FAILURE 
   No report to distribute. 
   Log report notification successfully sent to manuszr@ferris.edu. 

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick Man,

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Rick,

There are two ways that I can think of that the server uses to access a certain instance.
The first way is when there is no connection information in the access file - it then takes the default connection (which is the very first one mentioned in the edasprof.prf file), or it takes the connection set explicitly by the user in the fex.
The second way is when there is connection information in the access file. Then that instance will be accessed.
So check the master file and access file being used, and check the edasprof on the server.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that gave me an idea. I think I found the culprit. There was a MFD in BASEAPP that the Access file was pointing to the PPRD instance. I'm not sure why it would use it ahead of GOLD based on the APP SHOWPATH. We will test later this week and keep you informed.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes that was it. So now the question is why is it going to baseapp first?

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does RC use the same app path as WF? I don't know. If so, is there an APP PREPENDPATH statement somewhere that is appending BASEAPP to the front of the app path? Just some thoughts.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
So now the question is why is it going to baseapp first?

I think I read somewhere in the Developing WebFOCUS Reporting Applications manual that "baseapp" is always added to the APP PATH even if no explicitly set.

I'll try to find the reference.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Found it:

quote:
Access to a particular application component can be explicit or implicit. Implicit access is
dependent upon the search path in effect at the time of execution. The search path always
includes the default application, baseapp
. There is no need to explicitly declare this
application.

Document: Developing WebFOCUS Reporting Applications [DN4500805.1209]
Chapter 2: Creating and Working With Applications

Bottom line, don't put anything in BASEAPP that you don't want to be "seen" by each and every application regardless of your specific APP PATH.

- Neftali.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
While that is true, it always goes at the end of the path. You can use the APP SHOWPATH command to verify this. If you APP PREPENDPATH the directory where the correct master is in the focexec always, you won't have that problem.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
That was a good thought about what RC uses. So I looked it up in the doc :
Ensure that the correct application names are listed in your WebFOCUS Reporting Server's
APP PATH. This is defined in:
drive:\ibi\srv76\wfs\etc\edasprof.prf

Here is what is in my edasprod.prf. Still a mystery. Yea I deleted all the stuff out of the baseapp directory.

APP ENABLE
APP PATH gold odsg sand pprd dev2 enrolrep holdfile baseapp 301files dev5 dev3 whatsup webfocus ibisamp odst emas honorsapptest aim_prod aim_test honors kronos dwt1

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks All. I'm going to close this.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF