Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] BYDISPLAY ON at Column Level

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] BYDISPLAY ON at Column Level
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hello All,

Quite a long time here... Is there a way we can do the BYDISPLAY setting at column level?

Say In the below code, Country should be grouped and sorted(Same values should not repeat)... and CAR should only be sorted(Same values should repeat)

TABLEF FILE CAR
PRINT 
     CAR.BODY.SEATS
BY  CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
BY  CAR.COMP.CAR
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
END

BYDISPLAY on globally or ON TABLE would not work for this? Any surprising direct options?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ramkumar - Webfous,

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/AHTML/XML/HTML5

Posts: 394 | Location: Chennai | Registered: December 02, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
No BYDISPLAY is GLOBAL; Use NOPRINT

TABLEF FILE CAR
PRINT
CAR.COMP.CAR
CAR.BODY.SEATS
BY CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
BY CAR.COMP.CAR NOPRINT
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
END
-EXIT

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
SET BYDISPLAY is global. You could do it with COMPUTE:

TABLEF FILE CAR
PRINT 
COMPUTE COUNTRY_BY/A10 = IF COUNTRY EQ LAST COUNTRY THEN '' ELSE COUNTRY;

CAR
SEATS

BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR NOPRINT

ON TABLE NOTOTAL
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
OR, Use Francis' idea!!!

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Or use Tom's idea! Razzer

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Both the Ideas.. That's nice.. Smiler I just wanted to check if there is a direct way like ON TABLE SET BYDISPLAY ON 1 or 2 somethig of that sort.

Thanks,
Ram.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes BYDISPLAY is global.
Couldn't have had the same possibilities as BYPANEL where one can choose?
As usual, there is always a workaround.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
just my two cents... Use Tom's idea as Francis' won't translate groupings to the database in versions before 8.1.04.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Eric, I don't know what you mean by "translate groupings to the database". COMPUTE statements occur after the data is retrieved so they are not translated to SQL.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eric, I don't know what you mean by "translate groupings to the database". COMPUTE statements occur after the data is retrieved so they are not translated to SQL.

That's right... Compute will happen after the data retrieval and aggregations(groupings). What's different here?

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
Francis, run the sql trace on your statement. I've found that even with computes, when the adapter comes across a command that it doesn't know how to translate, it will default ol to a webfocus managed join and not write group by commands into the sql. For this reason I try to avoid any syntax on an initial pass that I know doesn't translate. I've seen it happen whether I put the value on a compute or not.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that occur with COMPUTE statements, I don't think it can happen.

TABLEF FILE RPT_RULES
SUM
COMPUTE RPT_ATTR_BY/A80 = IF RPT_ATTR EQ LAST RPT_ATTR THEN '' ELSE RPT_ATTR;

TYPE_IND
MIN.RULE_STR

BY RPT_ATTR NOPRINT
BY TYPE_IND NOPRINT

ON TABLE NOTOTAL
END

SELECT
T1.RPT_ATTR,
T1.TYPE_IND,
MAX(T1.RPT_ATTR),
MAX(T1.TYPE_IND),
MIN(T1.RULE_STR)
FROM
ENTRPT.CASH_EXP_RPT_RULES T1
GROUP BY
T1.RPT_ATTR,
T1.TYPE_IND
ORDER BY
T1.RPT_ATTR,
T1.TYPE_IND;

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
I had it happen to me when using the strong concatenation. Apparently the Oracle adapter doesn't support it. Even as a compute my group by's weren't translating down.

Maybe it was an issue with the concatenation then.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2