Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     DECODE with an outside file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
DECODE with an outside file
 Login/Join

<Erin>
posted
We have about 40 status codes which should be divided among 5 categories for a more readable report. I have a file listing each status code and its category. I'm trying to use DECODE, but it's not working.

FILEDEF STATUS_FILE DISK C:\IBI\...\StatusDecode.txt
DEFINE FILE MY_TABLE
STATUS_CATEGORY/A10 = DECODE (STATUS_FILE ELSE 'Unknown')
END

Is .txt an appropriate format here? If not, what is? Here's what my StatusDecode.txt file looks like:

'St_Code','St_Category'
'AD','Admitted'
'AT','Admitted'
'DY','Denied'
'FC','Review'

Anybody have any hints as to what I'm doing wrong? I keep getting this error message in my DEFINE:
"(FOC 272) FORMAT ERROR IN DECODE OR FILE ELEMENT: STATUS_LIST"

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Assuming your decode file is formatted okay, I never put the comma between the values, you have one entry that is 11 characters all the others are less, the A10 is probably the problem. If changing it to A11 doesn't work then eliminate the commas between the columns and just put a space.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
<Erin>
posted
Thanks, Leah, but that doesn't work either. I initially had spaces in the file and tried commas when that didn't work. And I expanded "St_Category" for clarity in this example (oops, didn't count its chars), but in my real file, it's just "St_Cat", which is under 10 chars.

Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
There's an error in your decode statment.

The syntax is:

DECODE fieldname (code1 result1 code2 result2...[ELSE default ]);
DECODE fieldname (file_name [ELSE default ]);

Your're missing the field you want to decode.

Cheers,

Pietro.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Erin,

Look at the file and see if there is a last line that is 'blank'. Seems to me I had that problem and by deleting that last entry so the text file didn't have it, it worked.

Say 'X' is the cursor position in the file on the last line.

'aa' 'all alike'
X

change to

'aa' 'all alike'X

So where the X is represents the last of the file.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
<Erin>
posted
I got all optimistic when you both posted simple-but-critical fixes, but no such luck.

Pietro, what you found was a transcription error. I omitted the fieldname in my post but it's present in my actual file. Here's what I'm working with:

FILEDEF STATUS_LIST DISK C:\IBI\...\AdmStatusDecode.TXT
DEFINE FILE ADMGAPTB_UNL_PRD
ADMSTAT/A10=DECODE ADM_STATUS (STATUS_LIST ELSE 'X');

Leah, I checked my file, and there's no line break after the last value.

Meanwhile I've removed the 'headings' from my text file, since headings wouldn't be appropriate if it was just reading the file into a DECODE line.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Erin, I just realized you are at UNL. It may be the program cannot find the decode file because it needs to be on the app server if you are doing a run remote.

Maybe we should take this offline. I put all my decodes on our UNO directory on our shared app server.

Give me a call or send an email.

402-554-3751, lcross@mail.unomaha.edu

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Hace you tried removing the quotes on the data to be decoded?
AD 'Admitted'<br />AT 'Admitted'<br />DY 'Denied'<br />FC 'Review'

Report This Post
<Erin>
posted
After trying various things inspired by Pietro and Leah's suggestions (many thanks to both of them), I finally hit the solution. In my FILEDEF, I shortened "STATUS_LIST" to "STATLIST". Voila--it ran with no errors.

It seems there's simply a character limit (probably 8) on the temporary name assigned to the decode file. (Note: I'm using 4.3.6; newer versions may be more forgiving.)

Case closed.

Report This Post