Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Left outer returns error

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Left outer returns error
 Login/Join

posted
I will try to layout the situation before I get to the error. I have this report which starts with making a hold file containing assets, their status (from another table), and locations.

I take that hold and join it with a work order table. That work order table will have a work log summary and work log details table joined to it.

I get all the records I should be getting in the original hold file. Now, not all of those records will have associated work orders (with work logs) with them. That says to me, Left outer join. When I left outer join the hold file (with all the assets) and the work order join group, with selecting a record from the work log details table, I get the following error:

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 28 LINES= 28
(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS 24801 (HEX: 000060E1)
: ORA-24801: illegal parameter value in OCI lob function
(FOC1407) SQL FETCH CURSOR ERROR. : LONGDESCRIPTION

So, I have left outers joining the asset hold, work order, log summary, and then log details. Here is where it is really tripping me up...

When I switch the join for the log summary to log details (not the one joining assets to work orders) to an inner join, I do not get an error. However, I only get records which are associated with a work log detail. (I do not get assets with statuses which do not have a work log record associated with them.)

If I remove the log details from the select list, leaving that last join as an outer, I get the results I want (minus the field I had to remove). I get ALL assets (with an associated work log summary or not). But, as soon as I add the log details field, I get the error.

I hope someone can decipher what I have tried to explain and come up with a suggestion.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 23 | Location: ABQ, NM | Registered: August 24, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
LONGDESCRIPTION
Look at the field format in the master, perhaps it's too long, perhaps it's defined as a text field...

Also, why don't you do all the joins in one request instead of creating an intermediary hold file, this may be more efficient.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I had used the hold because when I originally wrote the report, I had two paths of joins off one table. I joined off the work order one path down through the asset to get that info and the other path down through the work log tables. When I tried selecting from both paths WebFOCUs got upset. I don't remember the error now but I had found someone's solution of using a hold.

As for the format, LONGDESCRIPTION is the table. The field in question here which I am pulling from the table and causing the error is shows "USAGE=TX50, ACTUAL=TX"

I hope this is the info you were asking for.

Thanks,
Craig

Expert
posted Hide Post
You may want to read about "Controlling the Mapping of Large Character Data Types" in the documentation:

Server Administration for UNIX, Windows, OpenVMS, i5/OS, and z/OS V7.6.1

Text fields do sometimes cause problems.

I would regenerate the metadata (master) by customizing the data type mappings for Longchar as Alpha - this is an option in the WebFOCUS Server Console Metadata 'Create Synonym' page.

As a quick test, BEFORE doing the above, try to make sure that the text field is the last field in the request - I believe, when working with text fields, you can only have one in the WebFOCUS request, and it has to be the last field.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Text fields do sometimes cause problems.

I would regenerate the metadata (master) by customizing the data type mappings for Longchar as Alpha - this is an option in the WebFOCUS Server Console Metadata 'Create Synonym' page.

You, my good man, are my hero of the day! I changed from TX to A2000 and everything is working like it should.

(fyi...putting it as the last field did not do it.)

Thank you!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
There's a setting you can add to your edasprof.prf which will force the text fields to be alpha fields when the master files are created. Below is the setting for Oracle, it may differ a bit for a different type of database:
ENGINE SQLORA SET CONVERSION LONGCHAR TEXT

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 149 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: June 08, 2007Report This Post