Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Share experiences : Compound PDF layout Painter

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Share experiences : Compound PDF layout Painter
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, this is the first time I put something on a forum, but I really need to share experiences in WebFOCUS Developpement, so to start I will post some tips of my own experiences. Hope that someone will find it usefull. (sorry for my english hope it will be understandable).

So every time I found a Tips or a Workaround, I'll try to put it on the forum except if you don't want to (let me know).

Today I'll start with the Compound PDF layout Painter which can be very usefull but need patience to work on it.

First of all , just use the GUI to start the basis of your compound pdf then work on the code manually.

1. If you need to put two reports side-by-side AND then continue with a third report AND having the page numbering correct, use a compute field (as already mentionned in this forum) instead of the Tabpageno, and a parameter to reduce the TABPAGENO after the second report.

Ex in the compound execution :

-SET &DIMPAGE=0;
EX first report
-SET &DIMPAGE=&DIMPAGE + 1 ;
EX second report
EX third report

and in every report (never forget the HEADING UNDER the COMPUTE) :

COMPUTE MYPAGE_NUM/I4=TABPAGENO - &DIMPAGE ;

HEADING
" Page :
2. If you need graph put them in a report not alone in the LAYOUT PAGE and never forget that the position of the graph will be in function of the parent LAYOUT PAGE not from the report in wich you’ll put it in. Don’t forget that Graph need to be saved in SVG format for PDF.

3. If you need a full underline of your title put all your titles on the last lines of the HEADING instead of using the AS ‘Title’. With the AS ‘title’ you’ll have problem with SUBFOOT and PAGE-BREAK .Sometimes if the SUBFOOT can't fit at the end of the page and need to be placed on the top of the next page it can be put on the underline of the title.

4. Use the WRAP or SQUEEZE stylesheet options to block the maximum width of the report

5. Use Global parameters for positionning and styling options. Like report TOP , WIDTH, HEIGHT and LEFT options , FONT Colors, FONT name (Helvetica Neue give a very good look) , etc ... and put all these parameters in one fex call before the Compound , it will be easier for maintenance for people not use to the WebFocus language.

This is for the moment my poor experience if I found new tips I’ll try to post them.

The report I did for the moment use a compound layout painter that can include more that 15 reports some with graph, working in 4 languages, 5 images on Layout, and fully parametrised. Data from Oracle and takes for about 50 pages depends on the selection less than 5 secondes. So don’t hesitate to Use the Compound Layout in PDF as it can gives beautifull results and WebFOCUS Server is very fast.

Next time if you permit , I will discuss about the Configuration of WebFOCUS ( Like –INCLUDE PROFILES, Send &IBIAPP_app in DRILL-DOWN, Site.wfs to have server-name and port for FOCEXURL and other settings)

Damien
WF 8202
DB : NETEZZA, MSSQL, DB2, ORACLE
Output : ALL

Posts: 11 | Location: Belgium- Luxembourg | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, this is the first time I put something on a forum, but I really need to share experiences in WebFOCUS Developpement, so to start I will post some tips, tricks of my own experiences. Hope that someone will find it usefull. (sorry for my english hope it will be understandable).

So every time I found a Tips or a Workaround, I'll try to put it on the forum except if you don't want to (let me know).

Today I'll start with the Compound PDF layout Painter which can be very usefull but need patience to work on it.

First of all , just use the GUI to start the basis of your compound pdf then work on the code manually.

1. If you need to put two reports side-by-side AND then continue with a third report AND having the page numbering correct, use a compute field (as already mentionned in this forum) instead of the Tabpageno, and a parameter to reduce the TABPAGENO after the second report.

Ex in the compound execution :

-SET &DIMPAGE=0;
EX first report
EX second report
EX third report

and in every report (never forget the HEADING UNDER the COMPUTE) :

COMPUTE MYPAGE_NUM/I4=TABPAGENO - &DIMPAGE ;

HEADING
" Page :
2. If you need graph put them in a report not alone in the LAYOUT PAGE and never forget that the position of the graph will be in function of the parent LAYOUT PAGE not from the report in wich you’ll put it in. Don’t forget that Graph need to be saved in SVG format for PDF.

3. If you need a full underline of your title put all your titles on the last lines of the HEADING instead of using the AS ‘Title’. With the AS ‘title’ you’ll have problem with SUBFOOT and PAGE-BREAK .Sometimes if the SUBFOOT can't fit at the end of the page and need to be placed on the top of the next page it can be put on the underline of the title.

4. Use the WRAP or SQUEEZE stylesheet options to block the maximum width of the report

5. Use Global parameters for positionning and styling options. Like report TOP , WIDTH, HEIGHT and LEFT options , FONT Colors, FONT name (Helvetica Neue give a very good look) , etc ... and put all these parameters in one fex call before the Compound , it will be easier for maintenance for people not use to the WebFocus language.

This is for the moment my poor experience if I found new tips I’ll try to post them.

The report I did for the moment use a compound layout painter that can include more that 15 reports some with graph, working in 4 languages, 5 images on Layout, and fully parametrised. Data from Oracle and takes for about 50 pages depends on the selection in less than 5 secondes. So don’t hesitate to Use the Compound Layout in PDF as it can gives beautifull results and WebFOCUS Server is very fast.

Next time if you permit , I will discuss about the Configuration of WebFOCUS ( Like –INCLUDE PROFILES, Send &IBIAPP_app in DRILL-DOWN, Site.wfs to have server-name and port for FOCEXURL and other settings)

Damien
WF 8202

Posts: 11 | Location: Belgium- Luxembourg | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have problem to post my total message need to go will see later to send the complete message
Sorry

Damien
WF 8202