Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Cloropleth map legend shows "B" for billions, numbers are really millions

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Cloropleth map legend shows "B" for billions, numbers are really millions
 Login/Join

posted
I have set up a heat map in WebFocus that graphs invoice $'s from an excel spreadsheet on a US map by state. When I put the cursor over each state, the correct $ amount is displayed, but the $ amount on the legend that is being displayed is incorrect. For example, when I place the cursor over Texas, it shows the invoice amount to be 517.1M (which is correct) and it is green in color, but the legend is showing the green to be 6B. Are we correct in thinking that 517.1M is 517,100,000 (or 517 million)? Shouldn't the legend be showing the green to be 600M? Has anyone ever run into this before? Is there something I am missing on this? We are using WebFocus 8.005. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.005
All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Lana, did you (or Advanced Graph Assistant) add this to the graph style: setY1LabelFormat(n) ? Depending on which n you choose, what you describe can occur. Read the "Graphics" manual for the different values you can use for setY1LabelFormat.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
and would you change your version in your signature, please? i was amazed that maps were in 7.6...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis -

Thank you for your feedback on this issue. The setY1LabelFormat(n) was not set, so I tried setting it as you suggested. I tried different values for n - such as -3, -2... and nothing seemed to change. I'm not sure if I was doing something incorrect with this.

I ended up simply setting the setScaleMaxAuto(getY1Axis(),false) and giving it a max of 600M. That seems to give me what I was looking for. Thanks again for your help.

WebFOCUS 8.005
All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Lana,

I have just tried this in 8.0.0.6 and all looks OK. I have used both IE10 and Chrome21 to check the output (not that there should be any difference!

I also checked the code produced and there is nothing special there to control max or min axis values.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony

Looks great do you have some sample code?

Kind regards

Mark

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

What release are you on? Your signature states 7.7.01 and if that is the case then I am not sure that you can get map charts in that release.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony

I have to change my states we are using WF 8.

Kind Regards

Mark

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

Ok, I'll try and step you through making that chart. I will use the Retail sample database as it has a table with some geographic data of the type that the cloropleth chart requires. It is also an HTML5 type chart so you'll need to use a browser that supports HTML5.

For the Retail sample data, you will need to be able to create the database and tables for the Retail sample (MS SQL server or MS Access only I think).

Assuming all is OK, go to the RS console (server:8121) and click on an application directory - I created a new one and called it WF_RETAIL.

Right click on this folder and select new / samples. From the list click on WebFOCUS - Retail Demo and then check the other options as necessary.

I'm assuming that you are using Dev Studio. Create a new procedure (using the GUI of course Wink) and then within that create a chart using the "Map" type with a source of WF_RETAIL (which is a cluster join). The left hand of the two maps is the one for cloropleth (hover over to see the tooltip), so select that one and a territory of US of A and the colour scale that you like (wear your sunglasses for the bottom one Wink).

Under Measures / Sales, double click Revenue, then under Dimensions / Customer / Customer / State / Attributes, double click "State,Code" to add it to the "Location axis". This will launch a dialog asking for the location type - in this case it is "State Abbreviation". Click OK and then run your procedure.

Now, how easy was that? Smiler I counted a total of 22 left mouse clicks in creating just the procedure (double click = 2 obviously Wink)

Let me know how you get on.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
BTW, you can use GGSALES but there are only about 12 states with data and it looks a little sparse!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Thanks I will try it later.

Regards

Mark

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony

We don't have the Retail sample database so I tried it with data off our own. (the data includes the attributes Latitude and Longitude)
But starting with the procedure, I can't find the chart type MAP.
Do you know if this is a standard WF feature.

Mark

Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark,

If you have WF8 DS then when you create a new chart you should get this dialog -

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I don't have the Map chart type see :
(I hope the file is included)
Do I have to make some changes in the settings?

Regards Mark

Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Your dropbox image isn't showing.

Also, what version of 8 are you on? For your server, run a fex with ? VERSION in it. For DS use help/about.

I'm not sure whether you need to be licensed - perhaps Kathryn might be able to advise?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony,

The only differrence in the image I send is that I don't have the globe with MAP under it.

Versions :
DS : EDA8004 Release * Current Software:
Release GEN_NUM = 128
Server : EDA8001 Release * Current Software:
Release GEN_NUM = 102

How can I get in touch with Kathryn.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

Kathryn monitors the forum and will, hopefully, pick this up and advise on licensing Smiler.

As regards mapping, if you're the Mark I think that you are, then you have my email address, please contact me directly. Smiler

If not then please send me a PM (click my name to the left and select "invite xxxx to a private topic".

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi Mark and Tony,

I'll find out the status of maps in InfoAssist and licensing.

Mark, regarding your WebFOCUS versions, the WebFOCUS Client and Developer Studio should be at the same release and can be lower than the Reporting Server but not higher. It is recommended that they all be at the same release. Since your version of Developer Studio (and possibly WebFOCUS Client) is higher, this may account for why you're not seeing the map icon. Please see:

Release and Gen Certification Information for WebFOCUS Client and Reporting Server Releases 8 and 7.7.x

What release of WebFOCUS Client are you using?

I'll let you know about the licensing.

Thanks and regards,

Kathryn

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for your help also to Tony.

what is the best way to find the release of the WebFOCUS Client.

Kind regards

Mark

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

From the Admin Console, click the link in the top right for "WebFOCUS Info"

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

I managed to see your image file and noticed that you have PNG format selected. Please go to the "Home" tab and select HTML5 to see if the Map icon is then shown.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony

These are the results of the "WebFOCUS info" :

WebFOCUS Business Intelligence

Edition: WebFOCUS
Product Release: 8.0
Service Pack: 01
Build Version: branch8001_maint
Build/GEN Number: 22
Build/GEN Date: Thu Oct 25 20:43:20 CEST 2012
Application Server: Apache Tomcat/7.0.29

I did not realize that I had placed the wrong image, but also the choice of HTML5, gives no MAP (globe) type.

Mark

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

It might be best for you to raise this with Tech Support.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986