Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Maintain grids vs. HTMLtables

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Maintain grids vs. HTMLtables
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I haven't used a grid in a Maintain program in a long while. (HTML tables and edit boxes)

My impression of them from long ago is that they were a bear to control, requiring tons of special handling and poorly documented methods and properties.

Has this changed ?

I am currently looking at an application in 7.6.4 that might require a grid, but I hesitate to proceed with a grid with my old presumptions.

Any help on what can now be done with them and possible difficulties ?

TIA,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Dave,

the good thing about grids is that it's a little bit better documented these days. The bad thing is, since it's an ActiveX control, you have to rely on Bill. You can't use use Firefox. If that's not a problem, give it a go.

Rgds
Håkan Lidholm

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Dave
In itself, the grid is not a hard object to use. You do need to make sure that the active-x control can be seen by all of your users and that there is no security issues. There are SO many things that you can do with the grid that sometimes the coding can become complex. I have used it numerous times and have created many tips and techniques that I hope are helpful.

On the other hand, the HTMLTable is very simple to use, but is primarily for display. However, using some simple HTML coding techniques things like drop down boxes, radio groups and input fields can be encorporated into the HTMLTable making it an input object as well.

There is no cut and dried answer. It really depends on your needs.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Security is the issue, are ActiveX objects allowed int your environment.

Many companies have policies that disable the use of ActiveX.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Since my requirements also disallow active-x controls but do include a type of grid approach, I have used the HTMTable object with html-content in the cells (as Mark already indicated). This really works fine and it gives the user a type of interfacing that is easier for them to understand then the grid apporach. In your maintain code there are simple methods to retrieve the html-content values from the htmtable object, which indeed makes the html object a truly sophisticated input object.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Perhaps someone will come up with a flash or flex version of the Grid object ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Are there any code examples anywhere that demonstrate using editboxes in an HTMLTable rather than using the Grid control? I know to make the HTMLTable cells contain HTML content rather than text but how are people implementing them in Maintain and/or Javascript code? Do I need to use a separate stack for the HTMLTable to hold the HTML editboxes and use Javascript to get any values entered in those editboxes to move those values to/from a data stack or can it be done all in Maintain code? I'm going to play with this some today but any example code (for editboxes specifically) would be greatly appreciated. I did see the "MAINTAIN Summit 2007 HTML Lab Follow up" post here and the "GetHTMLField" method. Is there any more info on "GetHTMLField"? I don't see anything in any of the Maintain documentation that comes with Dev Studio.

Thanks,
James

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows

Posts: 54 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: September 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi J
I did a Summit lab a couple of years ago that does a step by step instruction of adding objects to the HTMLTable, and retrieving them. I will e-mail you the presentation. Just send me your e-mail.

Mark_Derwin@ibi.com

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Mark, mind sending me a copy of it as well? Thanks, Ira

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0