Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] Oracle CLOB field not displaying correctly in Excel

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] Oracle CLOB field not displaying correctly in Excel
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have an Oracle table that has a CLOB field (SCBDESC, SCBDESC_TEXT_NARRATIVE). When I output it as FORMAT EXL2K the data gets displayed in multiple rows rather than in one row, as if there are CRLF in there. The MFD was a USAGE=TX50; however, if I change it to USAGE=TX254 (the max) I still get multiple rows but more data per cell. This indicates to me that there are not CRLF in the data.
Changing the ouput to PCHOLD FORMAT ALPHA or COMMA or COMT gets a (FOC702) THE OPTION SPECIFIED IS NOT AVAILABLE WITH TEXT FIELDS:
The goal is to get the data out and import into another system. If I can get into Excel in one cell I know I can export it as a text file and then import it.
Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick Man,

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
You are limited to the FOCUS datatypes.

You can change the usage to Annnn, if you know it is going to be small.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Waz. I changed the MFD to A3500 anything over that I got an error on exceeding the length, blah blah blah. So that kind of works. If I run the SQL in TOAD and do a save as Excel it is fine. So being a one time shot (today anyway) guess what I'm going to do? But I do appreciate the help. Thanks again. Rick

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Rick Man, have you been able to get clobs to print on reports? We are trying to use SSBDESC in a report. I tried changing the TX50 to A3500V. This works great but there is garbage on the end of the string (probably carrage controls, etc). Also, we would have to split the string into several parts to get it to print 'nicely'. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Prod: WF 7.7.05, BID, MRE, 7.7.06M Server, Windows 2008, RedHat, Oracle 11gR1, MS Office 2010
Test: I wish we had one!

Posts: 75 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: February 19, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul - did you find a work-around for the issue you were having?

We have an Oracle table that has CLOB field and we are trying to output it in Excel format. If I choose to export as Excel Formula, it will put entire field in one cell, but it changes apostrophe and other special characters to some UNICODE numbers and also puts garbage at the end of the string.

Just signed on - don't known these details yet

WebFOCUS version TBD
UNIX
Excel, PDF, HTML, txt files in may be delimited form