Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Passing variables from HTML inputs into a reportcaster job

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Passing variables from HTML inputs into a reportcaster job
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hello. I have a reportcaster job that is intended to run a .fex which creates and attaches a PDF report to an email and sends to me.

The .fex requires two variables &FMONTH and &FYEAR to run. Those values are supplied by user inputs on an .HTML page

I am trying to use the form action command to run DSTRUNNOW from that same .HTML page through a button.

However I cannot figure out how to pass those two variables successfully to the RC job in order to create and email the report to me.
this is the code I'm using to call DSTRUNNOW in my .fex

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
<HTML>
<BODY onload="document.submit1.submit()">

<FORM name="submit1" ACTION="/ibi_apps/servlet/DSTRUNNOW" METHOD="POST" ENCTYPE="application/x-www-form-urlencoded">
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_scheduleid"     value="S99654d41s8339s4a88s867bs9aa287d58395">
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_user"           value="manglum">
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parm_FMONTH" value=&FMONTH>
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parm_FYEAR" value=&FYEAR>
</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

I have also tried issueing the request through the hyperlink of the form button as shown below

/ibi_apps/servlet/DSTRUNNOW?IBIB_user=svc-ebr&IBIB_scheduleid=S99654d41s8339s4a88s867bs9aa287d58395&IBIB_parm_FMONTH='&FMONTH'&IBIB_parm_FYEAR='&FYEAR'  

The error message I am receiving is:

FORMAT: &FYEAR
    BTP1020         INCOMPLETE REQUEST STATEMENT
    BTP1020         THE FORMAT OF THE TEST VALUE IS INCONSISTENT WITH FIELD 

the values being input by the user for FMONTH and FYEAR are numeric.

Even when I use input type="number" I still get the format error.

&FYEAR and &FMONTH are I11 format.

Any help is appreciated!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: manglum,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Did you trying logging on to IBI's site and doing a search on DSTRUNNOW. Just saying.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgelona:
Did you trying logging on to IBI's site and doing a search on DSTRUNNOW. Just saying.

Yes. That's how I discovered that DSTRUNNOW even existed.

Also, spending the time to actually type out a response that tells someone to "read the manual" utterly defeats the purpose of a user forum...LOL "just saying" :-)

I went back and added the code I'm currently using as context to aid in the discussion.

The example of usage shown in the IBI documentation assumes that you already know the value of the parameter you are trying to pass to report caster and you "hard code" it into the RC request.

But in my case the USER is inputing this variable via a text input box from the .HTML page.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
What is being fed to your fex? What are the values of &FMONTH and &FYEAR? It says it does not like the format of &YEAR. You might say something is a number, but everything in Dialogue Manager is text. For example if &FYEAR is 2017 maybe it is really ' 2017'. If you issue a -SET &EHCO=ALL; what does that look like?

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Within the scope of -HTMLFORM BEGIN/END, you should use the Bang IBI syntax for embedding the value of a dialog-manager variable, whether in the value="..." phrase or elsewhere.

Depending on the release (and perhaps the phase of the moon), & is treated literally in that context -- as reflected in the message:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgelona:
What is being fed to your fex? What are the values of &FMONTH and &FYEAR? It says it does not like the format of &YEAR. You might say something is a number, but everything in Dialogue Manager is text. For example if &FYEAR is 2017 maybe it is really ' 2017'. If you issue a -SET &EHCO=ALL; what does that look like?

The two variables &FMONTH and &FYEAR are the only two variables being passed to the .fex that the report caster job is running.

The values for &FMONTH would be integers 1 to 12
The values for &YEAR would be theoretically any 4 digit year

I added this code to the end of the .fex
-TYPE FMONTH=&FMONTH
-TYPE FYEAR=&FYEAR
-SET &ECHO = ALL;  

and the results are as follows:
FMONTH=5
FYEAR=2017

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by j.gross:
Within the scope of -HTMLFORM BEGIN/END, you should use the Bang IBI syntax for embedding the value of a dialog-manager variable, whether in the value="..." phrase or elsewhere.

Depending on the release (and perhaps the phase of the moon), & is treated literally in that context -- as reflected in the message:

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that syntax. I changed my reference to the following:

<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parm_FYEAR" value="!IBI.AMP.FYEAR;">

But it still yields an error in the log. I also tried the following variations on the theme:

<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parm_FYEAR" value=!IBI.AMP.FYEAR;> 
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parm_FYEAR" value=!IBI.AMP.FYEAR>
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parm_FYEAR" value="!IBI.AMP.FYEAR">

all error out.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
for further reference, this is the entire .fex that calls the HTML form at the end which calls the report caster job.

-*-DEFAULTH ®ION =87;
-*-DEFAULTH &STORE_GROUP ='TSS';
-*-DEFAULTH &FMONTH = 5;
-*-DEFAULTH &FYEAR = 2017;
-*-DEFAULTH &DISTRIBUTE='VIEW';
-*-SET &ECHO=ALL;
APP HOLD ebrreports_reg
APP HOLDDATA ebrreports_reg
APP HOLDMETA ebrreports_reg

-IF &STORE_GROUP EQ 'TSS' GOTO TSS ELSE
-IF &STORE_GROUP EQ 'HSAP' GOTO HSAP ELSE
-IF &STORE_GROUP EQ 'NEXT20' GOTO NEXT20 ELSE
-IF &STORE_GROUP EQ 'SASSCORE' GOTO SASSCORE ELSE
-IF &STORE_GROUP EQ 'WPGAP' GOTO WPGAP;

-TSS
DEFINE FILE EBRRPT_RPT_SAS_STORE_SCORECARD_GROUPINGS_TBL
A_STORE/A11 = EDIT(STORE);
END
TABLE FILE EBRRPT_RPT_SAS_STORE_SCORECARD_GROUPINGS_TBL
PRINT A_STORE AS 'STOREGROUP'
WHERE ( ACTIVETSS EQ 'TSS') AND ( REGION EQ ®ION);
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE HOLD AS STOREGROUPING FORMAT ALPHA
END

-IF &LINES EQ 0 GOTO NO_RECORDS ELSE GOTO ENDFEX;

-HSAP
END
WHERE ( HSAP EQ 'HSAP') AND ( REGION EQ ®ION);
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
END

-NEXT20
END
WHERE ( NEXT20SHRINK EQ 'Next20') AND ( REGION EQ ®ION);
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
END

-SASSCORE
END
WHERE ( RANK_CYCLE_TOTAL_SCORE NE 0) AND ( REGION EQ ®ION);
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
END

-WPGAP
END
WHERE ( RANK_CYCLE_WOP_GAP NE 0) AND ( REGION EQ ®ION);
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
END

-*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-NO_RECORDS
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<TITLE>NO STORES IN THIS GROUP</TITLE>
<TABLE BORDER=1><TR><TD>
Your Region (#®ION) doesnt have any stores in the selected group (&STORE_GROUP)
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
-HTMLFORM END
-EXIT
-*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-ENDFEX
-RUN

-IF &DISTRIBUTE EQ 'VIEW' GOTO VIEW_REPORT ELSE GOTO EMAIL_REPORT;

-VIEW_REPORT
-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/b6gh4fd9/std_reports/reportsdevel/SAS_30_STORE_GROUPS/si_sas_30_store_dashboard.fex

-EMAIL_REPORT
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
<HTML>
<BODY onload="document.submit1.submit()">

<FORM name="submit1" ACTION="/ibi_apps/servlet/DSTRUNNOW" METHOD="POST" ENCTYPE="application/x-www-form-urlencoded">
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_scheduleid"     value="S99654d41s8339s4a88s867bs9aa287d58395">
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_user"           value="manglum">
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parm_FMONTH" value=!IBI.AMP.FMONTH;>
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parm_FYEAR" value=!IBI.AMP.FYEAR;>

</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Even when I hard code a value in like the below:

<input type="number" name="IBIB_parm_FYEAR" value=2017>

It still produces the same error.

Also, I just noticed that im getting a slightly different error now in the log file since switching to using the !IBI_AMP references...

ReportCaster Log Report Schedule ID: S99654d41s8339s4a88s867bs9aa287d58395, Job Description: SAS 3.0 Store Group Distribution

Process:    Jdd0d4886j3250j40bcj879fj009d83eede18
              Schedule ID:    S99654d41s8339s4a88s867bs9aa287d58395
               Start Time:    2017-07-21 10:50:19
                 End Time:    2017-07-21 10:50:20

Message Code    Message Text

BTP1010         Schedule Executed On Demand at gvllc617a.dolgen.net:8200
    BTP1010         Job placed in the waiting queue at 2017-07-21 10:50:19.965-0500 (1,500,652,219,965)
    BTP1010         Job started running at 2017-07-21 10:50:19.965-0500 (1,500,652,219,965)
    BTP1010         Job remained in waiting queue for 0.0 seconds
    BTP1020         Starting task: Task 1
    BTP1020         Task type: WebFOCUS Report
    BTP1020         Task domain: b6gh4fd9/
    BTP1020         Retrieving WebFOCUS Report: IBFS:/WFC/Repository/b6gh4fd9/std_reports/reportsdevel/SAS_30_STORE_GROUPS/si_sas_30_store_dashboard.fex
    BTP1020         Connecting to server EDASERVE with execution id manglum at 2017-07-21 10:50:20.130-0500 (1,500,652,220,130)
    BTP1020         Connection to the Reporting Server EDASERVE established at 2017-07-21 10:50:20.250-0500 (1,500,652,220,250)
    BTP1020         The time to establish a connection to the Reporting Server EDASERVE was 0.12 seconds
    BTP1020         Executing focexec.
    BTP1020         Connection to the Reporting Server EDASERVE closed at 2017-07-21 10:50:20.300-0500 (1,500,652,220,300)
    BTP1020         Job ran on the Reporting Server EDASERVE for 0.05 seconds
    BTP1020         Task error:  A VALUE IS MISSING FOR: &FMONTH
    BTP1010         No report to distribute.
    BTP1010         Job finished at 2017-07-21 10:50:20.312-0500 (1,500,652,220,312)
    BTP1010         Job time on distribution server after the report completed was 0.0 seconds
    BTP1010         Total running time was 0.347 seconds
    BTP1010         Total elapsed time (including the queue time) was 0.347 seconds

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It would seem the issue now is the fact that I am trying to pass TWO parameters to report caster (FMONTH and FYEAR). I don't think it likes how I'm using IBI_parm twice in separate lines.

Is there a way to pass both parameters in one command... something like:

<input type="number" name="IBIB_parm" value='FYEAR=2017 FMONTH=4'>

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Try concatenating FYREAR and FMONTH into one variable and pass that and let the fex split them back apart.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The error message appears to be generated by the report fex that RC invokes (si_sas_30_store_dashboard.fex or something it Includes), as it is executed by EDASERVE. The doc says "You can pass an unlimited number of values to a scheduled job.", so there should be no problem passing two parms.

The question is why your two values are not being passed on by RC, setting &FYEAR to the value given for IBIB_parm_FYEAR and similarly for &FMONTH.

You might try temporarily adding

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
-? &

at the top of the report fex, to see what &vars it receives and how far it gets before it chokes. The output should show up in a log.

-Jack

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
After seeking technical help, it turns out that the webfocus documentation on DISTRUNNOW and DISTSCHED is incorrect with regards to the IBIB_param parameter.

The correct syntax is IBI_parmYOURVARIABLE=XXX, not IBIB_parm_YOURVARIABLE=XXX.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs