Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] I Require Help with BID View Builder in WebFOCUS 8.0.09

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] I Require Help with BID View Builder in WebFOCUS 8.0.09
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone, hope you're fine! Smiler

Here's my requirement:

I'm trying to create a 'Group View' using the 'View Builder' option with WebFOCUS 8.0.09.

Previously I've created an 'Enterprise Domine' under 'Content Tree' on the left panel in the WebFOCUS BI Portal called 'square_proto_0-2'.

With this, WF created a group with the same name 'square_proto_0-2' and I assigned a user to that group.

When I go to the View Builder I can select the 'square_proto_0-2' group

and I can create the 'Group View' but when I try to add a block and I want to select an element of the 'square_proto_0-2' domain (folder), I only get the 'Public' folder in the 'Resource Tree' panel.

If I try to do the same but creating the Group View with another group of users like 'Administrators' or 'Developers', in those cases I can see the 'square_proto_0-2' folder in the 'Resource Tree'.

So my questions are: Am I doing something wrong?, am I skipping a step?. I've searched for documentation about it but I can't find it.

I opened a case in the Information Builders Technical Support, but maybe the person who answered me didn't understand fine my problem and sent me a link to download a guide to create a "SaaS Tenant Domain and Application (Shared Portal)".

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm the one who doesn't understand that guide. Wink

Anyway, I'd appreciate a lot if anyone of you can give me any help with my situation.

Best Regards,

Juan Carlos

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS ???, Windows ???

Posts: 7 | Location: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
<Emily Duensing>
posted
Hi Juan,

Is this an existing dashboard that you had from release 7? If it is not, then I am not sure why you are using View Builder. In release 8, you build Portals, not Dashboards (I know, vocabulary!). And, to build release 8 portals, you use the Portal Designer. Dashboards is release 7, Portals are release 8.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Emily,

First than all thanks for your help. Wink

I explain my case: Here in Venezuela we have a couple of customers who create their own Dashboards modifying the originals templates located in the X:\ibi\WebFOCUSXX\worp\worp_html\ folder, or making new templates using Adobe's Dreamweaver or another HTML editors. They have tried to use the new BIP and at this time they are evaluating and studying the new funcionalities, they and we know that is possible to migrate old dashboards, in fact we did it, but still it's necessary to know if we can do the same in WebFOCUS 8.

If this is not possible, maybe the final migrations with our customers will be very delayed or maybe one of them desist to upgrade the WebFOCUS version, and honestly we don't want that, we want that they'll be very comfortable with the new version and the new features without to lose the old options.

Thanks again Emily, and if you can help me with any additional info confirming to whether or not if we can make this using BID in WebFOCUS 8, I'll appreciate it very much. Smiler

Posts: 7 | Location: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Juan Carlos,

You may need to get in touch with IBI's Customer Support and see what they can do for you in order to continue supporting your customers.

My understanding, in line with Emily's comments, is that WebFOCUS 8 supports the migration and "read-only" operation of legacy BID views, but does not provide the tools to maintain them or create new ones. BI Portals is the new paradigm and the suggestion is to start moving your stuff over to the new technology.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

<Emily Duensing>
posted
Hi Juan,

njsden's reply is spot on.

However, as I re-read your request... I am wondering if the rule for the square_proto_0-2 domain was written (correctly or at all) for your group. From your description, it sounds like you used a template to create the domain folder (because you said it created a group as well)... if so, then the rule should have also been written for that domain... however the behavior you are getting suggests otherwise. Right-click the domain folder and select Rules on the Resource. You should see a rule for your group. If not, you need to create the rule so the group has whatever privileges to the folder you need. If the rule is there... hmmmmm.. then I'm at a loss.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Emily, hi Njsden,

Let me try your suggestions tonight, and I will comment you. I'm almost sure that we can do this in WebFOCUS 8. Even I like a lot that now we can work very fine with the View Builder using Chrome.

Thanks again for your help friends. Smiler

Expert
posted Hide Post
We might gain a lot with B.I. Portals in WF8 but we lose a few things that we had with B.I. Dashboards in WF7.

For example: you cannot make a simple list of links by pointing and clicking from the resource tree. You now have to create a folder and put resources in the folder and then place the folder in the B.I. Portal - this is a loss of functionality. There's more...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Try adding simple text somewhere in the banner...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello again everyone! Wink

I'm very glad to share with you guys, finally I could get what I needed. And yes Emily, your reply was spot on because the key in this case was when you said: "Right-click the domain folder and select Rules on the Resource. You should see a rule for your group. If not, you need to create the rule so the group has whatever privileges to the folder you need".

And so I did it, I created again a simple folder (not a Domain) called 'square_proto_0-2' with a subfolder 'content' and a report 'Report1.fex' inside. After that I published the folders and the report, then I followed the Emily's instructions and I chosen the 'Rules' option.

In the new window I changed to 'Permitted' the Access for all Custom - User defined roles.

After that I went to the 'View Builder' and happily I saw the 'square_proto_0-2', 'content' subfolder and the 'Report1.fex' procedure. I created a new page and a content block like in WebFOCUS 7 without any problem.

Next I created users like in WebFOCUS 7, but in that moment I got a little problem.

When the new users tried to access in the BID with the 'Group View' assigned in the new url for BID http://nameserver:8080/ibi_apps/bid/bid-login, they got a 'HTTP 403 - Access Denied', but it wasn't complicated to solve that. Simply I cameback to the 'Rules' option for the 'square_proto_0-2' folder and I put in 'Permitted' the 'BIDRunTimeAccess'. After that I had to remove the users from the group, and reassign them in the same.

Everything was ok after that. Good One

Well, thanks to everyone who helped me with my case, specially to Emily, I'm very grateful for sharing with me your knowledge about the new version of WebFOCUS, I promise you, I'll study a lot this new Security Management because I'm just a rookie with that. Sweating

Bye, take great care! Smiler

Juan Carlos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: juancpove,