Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Can I have an Alias for an Oracle table

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Can I have an Alias for an Oracle table
 Login/Join

posted
Can I create an Alias that's different than the field name in a Master that points to an Oracle table?

I tried creating some Aliases in a master that points to an Oracle table and I receive an error message:
(foc1410) SQL COLUMN NOT FOUND (for table check for alias names)

The problem field is the 1st one - OPR_ID

Here is the master:
FILENAME=AMZRDTL, SUFFIX=SQLORA , $
SEGMENT=AMZRDTL, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELDNAME=OPR_ID, ALIAS=OPRID, USAGE=A4V, ACTUAL=A4V, $
FIELDNAME=BATCH_NBR, ALIAS=BATCH_NBR, USAGE=P10, ACTUAL=P5, $
FIELDNAME=SEQ_NBR, ALIAS=SEQ_NBR, USAGE=P5, ACTUAL=P3, $
FIELDNAME=CO_CODE, ALIAS=CO_CODE, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELDNAME=BTA_NBR, ALIAS=BTA_NBR, USAGE=P10, ACTUAL=P5, $
FIELDNAME=STA_NBR, ALIAS=STA_NBR, USAGE=P10, ACTUAL=P5, $
FIELDNAME=INVC_NBR, ALIAS=INVC_NBR, USAGE=P19, ACTUAL=P10, $
FIELDNAME=DTL_NBR, ALIAS=DTL_NBR, USAGE=A4V, ACTUAL=A4V, $

here is the acx file:
SEGNAME=AMZRDTL, TABLENAME=ADMARC.DTL, CONNECTION=ADMDVH.sfchron.com,
GUI_PARAMS='0,100,24,148,72,278,160', KEYS=3, $

Thanks,
Jim
Unix Solaris
WebFocus 7.13
ETL 7.13
DS 7.14
Oracle 9.2

Posts: 12 | Location: Bay Area - San Francisco | Registered: January 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The ALIAS is the Oracle name, FIELDNAME is the WebFOCUS name. If you want to rename the column name, change FIELDNAME.

I can't think of a reason to do this really, except, perhaps, as hammo1j points out varchar vs tx fields , you would like two differently formatted columns for the same Oracle column.

My personal preference is to create Master and Access files with the synonym generator and then leave them untouched. You never know when you may need to recreate the synonyms and accidentally erase the customization.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The ALIAS is the Oracle name, FIELDNAME is the WebFOCUS name. If you want to rename the column name, change FIELDNAME.

I can't think of a reason to do this really, except, perhaps, as hammo1j points out, you would like two differently formatted columns for the same Oracle column.

My personal preference is to create Master and Access files with the synonym generator and then leave them untouched. You never know when you may need to recreate the synonyms and accidentally erase the customization.

Francis

Thank you very much Francis. I was so close yet so far. To answer your question as to why we want to do this: We are moving our Billing system from Mainframe COBOL VSAM files to Unix, COBOL, Oracle tables. We have about 100 Mainframe Focus reports we need to move off the mainframe. Unfortunately, the Oracle table names are different and the field names are different but the Oracle tables match the VSAM tables as far as content. If I create the synonym name the same as the mainframe Focus Master and the fieldnames the same as the mainframe focus masters, we can just download most of these reports and they should run without any changes. Of course we will have to take out any mainframe VM system commands. When I modify these masters, I will make backup copies where users cannot find them. We're aware that someone can re-create the master and overwrite the fieldnames so we'll take caution of this.

Thanks agin, this really helps us a lot.
Jim

Posts: 12 | Location: Bay Area - San Francisco | Registered: January 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Yours is a good reason for using different FIELDNAME and ALIAS.

Cheers.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post