Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     business views w/ quick query -- not poss?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
business views w/ quick query -- not poss?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Is it true that BV's can't be used with QuickQuery b/c of the need for the focus setting
SET FOCTRANSFORM = ON
which means BV can only be used in REporting Objects?
Thoughts?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Sussana, BV's can be used w/ all reporting tools and there is a requirement for the SET FOCTRANSFORM command to be ON.
This can be set in the procedure or in the server global profile or at a user profile.
For tools and user types that don't have access to the language or the SET tool, this command needs to be set at a server profile.
Starting w/ 77, the server will have this set to ON by default.

Regards,
Dimitri

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
didn't we have the conversation already, somewhere else? i've got a deja vu feeling...
i'm not comforatable turning foctransform on in my edasprof b/c i don't understand what its doing and what impact it will have on the rest of my site and rest of my colleagues' work...
i'm happy w/ so many alternatives... cluster joions with tm4550 and/or reporting objects

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi, yes you are correct. We covered this in the "Quick Query is so cool..." discussion as well.
Adding this command to a profile will not impact any of your applications even if you are not using BV's.
FOCTRANSFORM is used to translate fields and segment names from a BV to the corresponding original Master File during the processing of the request.

Regards,
Dimitri

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
FOCTRANSFORM works by parsing the command lines (after DM) and looking at the MFD references. If the MFDs are normal MFDs, processing continues as before. If it is a business view, it will transform tne BV references to standard MFD references, and then processing continues.

Many sites have FOCTRANSORM on in their edasprof.

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The New Features section on Business Views states:

quote:
The field and segment names in a Business View can be the same as the names in the original Master File, or you can assign new field names in the Business View. When you run a request against a Business View in which any name does not match the corresponding name in the original Master File, the request goes through a transformation process to substitute the real name. To enable this name translation process, you must issue the SET FOCTRANSFORM=ON command before issuing a TABLE, DEFINE, or JOIN command when any name in the Business View is different from the real field name.

Am I right that you can join TO a business view? (If so, the substitution process becomes more interesting...sounds less like a LET-token substitution source-code pre-scan, more like a partnership with Define and Table.)

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
hi jack, i don't believe you can join to a bv.
we tried that
so we put a business view on top of a cluster join mfd. that works

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post