Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Is there any benefit from keeping number of DB connections low?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Is there any benefit from keeping number of DB connections low?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
All,

I had been told that whenever a user logs-in that the profile would verify or ping or something for every db connection and to keep the db connections low (or managed) by removing old non-working db connections.

Just wondering if this is true and if there's any benefit from managing the db connections?

Thanks,
--wg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Winfred Gunter,

WF 8009m, Clustered vm Windows2008r2 reporting servers;
Web interface: tomcat;
Output: EXCEL, HTML, PDF; dbms: Oracle 10, db2 on mvs, mssql

Posts: 81 | Location: Monroe LA | Registered: January 07, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It may do that or at least the first connection per db type, don't know for sure, but it doesn't seem to affect anything in our environment. We have many 10's of connections in our global profile, probably close to 50. I just did a test using edastart -t which does run edasprof.prf and I got my double-carat immediately.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ginny,

That's been my observation... we've added tons of connections and we don't notice a problem. Makes me think I didn't understand the person or he was mis-informed.

Now, I do have a problem with test environment connections... that is, we add a test db instance and 3 months later, it's gone, but they don't tell me and I never remove the connection.... I've got to do something about that....

Been thinking of doing a test of ALL connections about every 3 months and remove any that fail. Or make a policy to only add test db's on our dev/test webfocus server.

Thanks for the feedback,
--wg

WF 8009m, Clustered vm Windows2008r2 reporting servers;
Web interface: tomcat;
Output: EXCEL, HTML, PDF; dbms: Oracle 10, db2 on mvs, mssql

Posts: 81 | Location: Monroe LA | Registered: January 07, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, the DB connections you add via the WebFOCUS Server Console are stored in a file: C:\ibi\srv76\wfs\etc\edasprof.prf. The only way they can disappear is if they are deleted via the Console or if the file is edited or refreshed with an old copy. I find the Test environment here to be quite unreliable, people are constantly changing things - meta-data, db connections, user accounts, etc.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find the Test environment here to be quite unreliable

Isn't that what test environment are for ... sort of.

Having many connections in your edasprof will very probably not have any performance issues, unless there are a huge number of them. All connections will be read by the agent and needs to be stored in the agents memory. Having a lot of connections might fill up the available memory faster than you want. I do not know if there is a limit to the number of connections, but I would advise to keep the number as low as possible. I don't think that the agent will try to connect to each and every connection. If that would be the case, then any connection that is no longer active would wait for a timeout to occur, thereby lengthening the startup process unacceptably. You would have noticed. But, if you want to be very very sure of this, switch on traces, run a small request, switch off traces and examine the trace file.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post