Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Problems with a Memo Record...

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Problems with a Memo Record...
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Good morning from Spain!!

I've created a table using Oracle, and one field is created like VARCHAR2(1000), no problem here... When going to server console in order to create the *.mas and *.acx files, everything goes fine, the memo field is transformed into a TX50 field in the master, like this:

FIELD=COMENTARIOS ,COMENTARIOS,
TX50 ,TX ,MISSING=ON ,$

The master contains more fields, so i do a PRINT * from the table FIRMAS and the data is displayed (without HOLD, only an EXIT to view the data.

When it's done I write the ON TABLE HOLD AS HFIRM:

DEFINE FILE FIRMAS
INICIO/A8 = 'hfirmas[';
ARRAY/A13 = ']=new Array("';
SEP/A3 = '","';
FIN/A2 = '")';
END

TABLE FILE FIRMAS
PRINT
COMPUTE INDICE/F4 = INDICE+1; NOPRINT
COMPUTE INDICEA/A4 = FTOA(INDICE, '(F4)', INDICEA); NOPRINT

INICIO
INDICEA
ARRAY
ID_FIRMA
SEP
NOMBRE
SEP
FECHA_NACIMIENTO
SEP
MAIL
SEP
WEB
SEP
YAHOO
SEP
MSN
SEP
COMENTARIOS
FIN

ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE HOLD AS HFIRM
END
-RUN
-EXIT

(FOC709) POSICION INVALIDA DEL CAMPO DE TEXTO DURANTE SAVE O HOLD

IN ENGLISH: (FOC709) INVALID POSITION OF TEXT FIELD DURING SAVE OR HOLD

Ok, the problem is with the TX field I mentioned before, if I comment that line, it works, any solution??

Thanks, Regards Smiler

Posts: 52 | Location: Madrid | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you do a ? 709, you will find this description:

quote:
0(FOC709) INVALID POSITION OF THE TEXT FIELD DURING SAVE OR HOLD
When creating SAVE or HOLD files, a text field may only be followed by another text field. If a text field is used in the ACROSS set,there may not be any non-text fields in that set.
Put the text field as the last field in the PRINT statement.

By the way, it is better for the forum not to have distracting images at the bottom of the posts (even if they're pretty ladies!).

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
try putting that Text field as the last element in your table when you are holding or saving it.

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think I know what you are trying to do, you're dumping the data in the table into a hold file to be used in an HTML page as JavaScript. Unfortunately, you will not be able to place FIN as the last field in the HOLD file. You may want to change your Master - give this a try: change TX50 to A1000.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
But Ruben IS doing just that.
FIN is spanish for END, its not a fieldname
COMMENTARIOS seems to be his last field and it is a text field.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah, he has a defined field called FIN that is ending the JavaScript array syntax. The END is after the ON TABLE HOLD...

Cheers.

Expert
posted Hide Post
ah!

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
[Quote="Francis"]I think I know what you are trying to do, you're dumping the data in the table into a hold file to be used in an HTML page as JavaScript. Unfortunately, you will not be able to place FIN as the last field in the HOLD file. You may want to change your Master - give this a try: change TX50 to A1000.[/quote]

Yes, you're right my friend Francis, the conversion automatically from the console of Varchar2(1000) is a TX50 in the *.mas file, I changed TX50 from A1000, and it worked Smiler

If that record type gives errors, why the console convertsa large varchar2 to tx? Confused

Francis Many thanks

And you too Sussannah (Know some spanish?), Also what Sussanah said is true, the word FIN is same to say FINISH, and in my case FIN was a field name.

Thanks to all ^^

Posts: 52 | Location: Madrid | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this will work, but you could leave the field as TX in the Master, but DEFINE or COMPUTE the following

COMMENTSX/A1000 = COMMENTS;

TX is a special format and depending on what you need to do with a TX field, sometimes it will work and sometimes it will be better to define it as an alpha field.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
this was just what I needed to know.
those strange memofileds gave me some problems.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hello,

It seems that I'm running into a similar issue with a memo field from an Access database.

Here is what I tried so far:
- I have changed the master file from USAGE=TX50, ACTUAL=TX to USAGE=A1000, ACTUAL=TX. When I do this I get garbage data ('e )
- I tried changind the format: COMPUTE ANSWERX/A1000 = DS.ANSWER; When I do this I get: (FOC709) INVALID POSITION OF THE TEXT FIELD DURING SAVE OR HOLD

Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks,
L-

7.6.6 on AIX platform
Output: variety (Excel, HTML and PDF)

Posts: 33 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 17, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Just in case anyone else is running into this problem... One thing I didn't know is that when using an Access database the field format has to be changed in two places: on the Wintel server and on the AIX. I was only changing the master file on the AIX... As soon as the master file on the Wintel got changed I got to see my beautiful memo fields!

L-

7.6.6 on AIX platform
Output: variety (Excel, HTML and PDF)

Posts: 33 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 17, 2007Report This Post