Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
VSAM
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Can someone tell me how MVS FOCUS handles header and trailer records (like the heading) for VSAM files? Does it have some way of disposing of them?

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Typically HEADER and TRAILER records in a VSAM file are treated as "RECTYPES". We allow them to be described, as often there is information in the header/trailer that the customer needs on the report. Now, the problem becomes if you don't have a natural RECTYPE. For instance, let's say that the HEADER record has HDR in the first 3 characters, and FOOTER has FTR in the same 3 characters. If it is not a HEADER or FOOTER, then the first 9 characters are social security number. In that case, we will use a rectype indicating that the important record has 001 thru 999 in characters 1-3, and that anything else should be ignored (I'm also for this indicating that the 9 chracter SSN is also the VSAM KEY.

FILE=vsam,SUFFIX=VSAM
SEGNAME=DUMMY,SEGTYPE=S0
FIELD= , , A1,A1,$
SEGNAME=MOSTREC,SEGTYPE=S0,PARENT=DUMMY
GROUP=SSN,ALIAS=KEY,A3,A3,$
FIELD=RECTYPE,,A3,A3,ACCEPT='001' TO '999',$
FIELD=FILLER,,A6,A6,$
... Describe the rest of the fields ...
SEGNAME=HDR,PARENT=DUMMY,SEGTYPE=S0
FIELD=RECTYPE,,A3,A3,ACCEPT='HDR',$
SEGNAME=HDRM,OCCURS=VARIABLE,PARENT=HDR
FIELD=WHOCARES,,A1,A1,$

Note if you truly do not care about the header (or trailer) information, you can just leave out those segments.s

Posts: 60 | Location: 2 penn | Registered: May 22, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you! That was very helpful.

Stan Smiler

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Noreen

What if there was an external file of ssn's that needed to be joined to the file described by your master? Would a vsam key be used in the join?

Thanks

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I was on vacation last week. Sure, create a SUFFIX=FIX (or whatever) file with the SSN's that you want, and then JOIN SSN IN FLATFILE TO SSN IN VSAMFILE AS AJ
You can JOIN using the VSAM key, the Left-most entrie(s) in the VSAM key, or the same using an alternate index that you set up using IDCAMS. Since you mention SSN, The RECTYPE will also be implied.

WEFOCUS - All releases starting at 4.3.6
MF FOCUS -- All releases starting at 3.8.68
OS/Platfor _ Predominately Z/OS, but all others as swell
Expected Output Format -- *

Posts: 60 | Location: 2 penn | Registered: May 22, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Noreen. I have no way to really test this. I have built many Vsam masters in the past but the files I went after had real rectyps. I was just not sure that a Vsam key described in the master that way (with a dummy segment) would work in a join.

Thanks again.

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post