Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Dynamically populate a menu component

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Dynamically populate a menu component
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for a way to dynamically populate a menu component. The menu will ideally be populated using a database or a XML file. Also, I want to dynamically create the event handlers to handle the "click" event for each menu item/subitem.

Any suggestion on how I can accomplish this? Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8.x, Windows, HTML/PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Have you ever taken IBI-WebFOCUS training ?

I recommend that you do. Lots of your basic questions will be answered.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taken the reporting essentials part 1 and part 2 training. Which specific training are you referring to? I am looking for the course number.

Master
posted Hide Post
I suggest going to this URL.. These are how I got started.

http://www.informationbuilders.com/webevents/online

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Expert
posted Hide Post
rajje, I assume you are talking about drill menu items ? If so, then documentation, if not then what menu items ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
rajje, I assume you are talking about drill menu items ? If so, then documentation, if not then what menu items ?

Waz, I am referring to the Menu component, not the drill menu. If you are in AppStudio, you can see it listed under Components -> Generic Elements. If I look under "Settings" for the menu component, I can only see "Data type = Static" option.

We are exploring ways to add fairly complicated navigation structure to our portal pages and so far, the the only way I can think of is it use the Menu component.

I hope this helps.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
If I'm understanding your request, see what you think of this code from a previous post.

TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
PRINT EMP_ID
BY DEPARTMENT
ON TABLE SAVE AS OZIHOLD1 FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RCOST DCOST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
GRID=OFF, SIZE=9, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=COUNTRY,
-READ OZIHOLD1 &Dept.A10. &Emp_Id.A9.
-SET &Cnt = 1;
-REPEAT :Loop WHILE &IORETURN EQ 0;
DRILLMENUITEM='Item &Cnt',FOCEXEC=yourdrilldown(Dept='&Dept' Emp_Id='&Emp_Id'),
-READ OZIHOLD1 &Dept.A10 &Emp_Id.A9
-SET &Cnt = &Cnt + 1;
-:Loop
$
ENDSTYLE
END

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Good luck with this one. I created a simple menu using App Studio, then inspected the HTML code using Chrome's developer tools.

IBI is using "ul" and "li" tags to construct the menu, then changing CSS classes when the mouse hovers over the menu choices. The whole thing is wrapped in a "div" tag. So it doesn't surprise me that there is no dynamic option for generating a menu. They would have to allow you to somehow map your dynamic choices from a data source so that all the menu choices appear at the proper levels. Menus can have sub-menu choices, which in turn can have sub-menu choices, which can also have sub-menu choices, etc.

I suppose an XML data source could allow for that, because in XML you can have levels of data. But from my experience with App Studio, XML from a fex file tends to be too simple in structure for that.

However, IBI does allow you to add your own HTML code into the App Studio HTML canvas. It's under "Components" at the far right ("HTML" button). I suppose it may be possible to create a "div" there and inject your own dynamic menu code, but I don't know for sure.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post