Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
'Chaining'
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Here is what I am trying to do:
1. Have the user input, in a text box, the first part, or the whole name, of an institution; such as WESTERN or Notre Dame
2. Bounce to a drop down list that displays all the institutions names that begin with 'Western'. So I have to use the LCWORD function to create the variable to pass to the focexec that will pull all the schools that begin with whatever they enter. (I can do that.)So if they enter WESTERN, or western, I ocnvert it to Western
3. Pass the school code to another focexec that then creates a report. (I also have this coded.)For example school code 001455

The problem is 'chaining' them together; i.e. passing the text box data to the drop down box, after converting it, and then passing the school code to the final report.

The Chain Feature documentation escapes me.

Thanks,

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi, Rick.

Chaining was not meant to do what you are wanting to do. The chaining feature as documented uses the 'master' functionality of popultating dropdown boxes, not text boxes.

You might want to create a file that has two columns, one is the proper initial subset that the user could click on and the other a list of school names that start with that initial subset. That would be pretty easy to do

You could then use a program to create the XML output for the dropdown boxes. That is also described in the section of the manual where you are looking at the chaining feature.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Rick,
I suppose you are building a self-service application, either for yourself or for some users. Will you be coming to the Summit in Nashville? If so, I would like to show you something we developed which would solve your problem easily.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ginny. No Daniel I'm not.
I have a partial print out of a forum response, but not enough to make heads or tails out of it, it all didn't print. But I can not find it again. It talks about a trick that John Calappi from IBI did for Loyola, but those key words don't find it. The example uses TABLE FILE LUR_ACTIVE_SUBJECTS If anybody knows about it I would appreciate it.

Well I found it, https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...057331/m/8411008331, but it either is not displaying the HTML or there isn't any. But now that I look at it, it doesn't do what I need. Still working on it. I'll let you know.
Rick

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick Man,

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Rick,
If you can send me an e-mail, I would gladly show you a few screen shots of what we have developed.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Sounds like what you are doing is a 'search' (on a partial value), not 'chaining', through that might be a small distinction.

Any way, to find a list of names starting with what your user entered, try something like this in the Focexec that's called to populate your drop-down:

-SET &SRCH = &1 ;
-SET &SRCH2 = IF &SRCH GT ' ' THEN &SRCH || 'Z' ELSE ' ' ;
-SET &WHR_STRING = 'WHERE INST_NAME GE ''' | &SRCH | ''' AND INST_NAME LE ''' | &SRCH2 ;
TABLE FILE...
&WHR_STRING
END

You would need to use something like the 'blur' event on your list box to trigger the focexec, passing it the entered value, which ends up in &1, and populating your 'Choose School' drop-down, on the page reload.

You could also use 'CONTAINS' rather the GT AND LT, to get results from anywhere in the tested string field, instead of just from prefixes.

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post