Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Encoding special characters for GRAPHs

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Encoding special characters for GRAPHs
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I've run into some issues with GRAPHs when legend-labels contain special characters. I've found that some can simply be mapped to Unicode characters using HEXBYT, that's not a problem.

However, some of these characters I shouldn't need to convert (quote(") is one of them) or their Unicode alternative lies outside the range of what HEXBYT accepts - I could use char 8343 instead of quote("), for example, but HEXBYT wraps that back to 151.

Next to that, I'd rather not convert these characters case-by-case, that's hardly future-proof. Isn't there some function to encode special characters in a string in such a way that they can safely be used in GRAPH legends?

For example, we have a column alias '10"' (which stands for '10 inch'). If used as a column in a GRAPH, the quote(") is stripped off the label, and the label next to it, whatever it read, is turned into a comma(,).

The columns and their aliases are generated from our data, so converting them on a case-by-case basis is going to cause problems in the future when other data enters the GRAPH.

I can't be the first person running into this problem, what's the recommended solution?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Here's some example-code, to explain why I'm having this problem:
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
	CNT.CAR AS ''
ACROSS COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT FOCUS
END
-RUN

FILEDEF TMP DISK FOCCACHE/TMP
-RUN
CHECK FILE HOLD HOLD AS TMP
-RUN
DEFINE FILE TMP
	NAM/A10 = EDIT(FIELDNAME, '9999999999');
	FLD/A10 = STRREP(10, NAM, 1, 'A', 1, HEXBYT(8243, 'A1'), 10, 'A10');
	LBL/A80 = EDIT(ALIAS, '999') | ' AS ''' | FLD | '''';
END
TABLE FILE TMP
PRINT LBL AS ''
WHERE FLDNO GT 1;
ON TABLE HOLD AS FLDS FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN

GRAPH FILE HOLD
SUM
-INCLUDE FLDS

END

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Gosh, not even a suggestion on how to go about this? (bump)

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
HEXBYT is for character values up to 255 - which is the maximum a A1 field can hold. I think it is actually even for values up to 127, because the sign bit of the byte is not used.
I had some problems also with assinging special characters to legend and/or tick values. I ended up doing this in the advanced graph editor and there you can do something, but it is also quite limited.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post