Focal Point
Compound Report within a compound report

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3661084262

December 20, 2007, 11:32 AM
Darin Lee
Compound Report within a compound report
To all the compound report afficionados-- Does anyone know if it is possible to have a compound report WITHIN a compound report? Here's my example: I am creating a compound PDF report that contains 4 reports and 12 graphs. One of the 4 reports contains 6 small sub-reports, displayed on one page in 2X3 fashion. I have created this report using the compound PDF layout tool with report coordination on - it looks great. Problem is, I need it to be included with the other reports and graphs, but each report is only coordinated within its own report type. So the packet order would be:
Report 1, sortfield1
Report 1, sortfield2
Report 2, sortfield1
Report 2, sortfield2
Graph 1, sortfield1
Graph 1, sortfield2, etc.

We have been using this report since the 4.3.6 days before PDF layout was even available so it is using some really complicated code. I have been dreading having to rewrite it and procrastinated as long as possible, but the days has finally come.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
December 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
Tony A
Darin,

I think that your only option would be to have the six reports as individual compound components using the "new" compound language. It should be quite simple for someone of your skills.

As you know I am not a fan of the GUI, and have a straight forward rule for creating compound reports. I just follow this style -
SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
UNITS=IN, $
SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, MERGE=OFF, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, PAGESIZE=A3, $
PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Layout page 1', text='Compound Report', BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5 $
COMPONENT='report1', TEXT='sometext', POSITION=(0.50 0.50), DIMENSION=(14.80 7.50),  $
COMPONENT='report2', TEXT='Key', POSITION=(0.50 7.20), DIMENSION=(4.50 5.50), $
END
SET COMPONENT='report1'
TABLE FILE .....
END
-RUN
SET COMPONENT='report2'
TABLE FILE .....
etc.
COMPOUND END

Makes the new compound report syntax easy Smiler

Good luck