Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Special characters in BI password.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Special characters in BI password.
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Are there any limitations for characters in a user password for BI? I have a user with a ',' in the password and it does not appear to work (invalid user name/password). Please advise.
Thanks for everyones support.
Paul

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paulI,

Prod: WF 7.7.05, BID, MRE, 7.7.06M Server, Windows 2008, RedHat, Oracle 11gR1, MS Office 2010
Test: I wish we had one!

Posts: 75 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: February 19, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't know which characters are valid, but I can see why the ',' is not - in some environments, putting a comma in the password tells WebFOCUS to send a change password request to the host...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
The only character specifically restricted by IB is the ','

Other characters can or cannot be used depending on the authentication system
i.e. operating system , DBMS etc.

Officially for example Windows since version 2000 & XP have supported all characters in the UTF-16
character table for use in passwords.

However I have seen cases reported where WebFOCUS does not handle them all correctly.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
As others have said, the comma is used on the Reporting Server as a password delimiter so that:

OLD_PASSWORD,NEW_PASSWORD

Is interpreted as changing the password from OLD_PASSWORD to NEW_PASSWORD.

While the character for this is a comma by default it can be changed by the setting:
password_change_delimiter

To a different character, as is documented
here

If you don't expect to need to support users to be able to change their passwords, I know of at least one WebFOCUS admin who used a text editor to set the value of password_change_delimiter to a non-printable character. In doing so he made all printable characters possible to use, but also disabled the change password capability.

NOTE: When changing password_change_delimiter, you must change the IBIC_passdelim on the WebFOCUS Client as well. The value of IBIC_passdelim can be set within the site.wfs file and made to match what is on the Reporting Server.

The comma should be possible to be used in a password in Managed Reporting or other areas of the product. It is just the Reporting Server where it should be a problem.

If you encounter any other characters that don't work, you should open a case with Techsupport as it is most likely a bug. From time to time we've found problems with different characters.

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP

Posts: 203 | Registered: November 19, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Great information dlogan.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Great information and explanations. Thank you all very much.

Prod: WF 7.7.05, BID, MRE, 7.7.06M Server, Windows 2008, RedHat, Oracle 11gR1, MS Office 2010
Test: I wish we had one!

Posts: 75 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: February 19, 2008Report This Post