Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Accessing database without focexec?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Accessing database without focexec?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi everyone,

I am using HTML layout painter to create a report webpage that can view static reports whiich are located in the server. So, I don't need to go through .fex program to create report. But I need to update some info in the database everytime when users view a report.

Is there a way to do that? If so how?

I also thought about using javascript, but most experts said it is better to use server side script, such as ASP etc... can i do that within dev studio? if so. how?

Thanks in advance for your help.

learner

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.1.6 on Win 2K/IIS 6/ISAPI HTML

Posts: 77 | Location: San Ramon, CA | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
take a look at Maintain!

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Alternatively use AJAX methods to apply an update.

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you can't use Maintain.

What about MODIFY ?

All the infrastructure is there.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the response. I tried Ajax and I like it and it is working the way i want, althought I still need to use asp script to access the database. It would have been perfect if I could rely on javascript completely. Tony, is there a way to do that? I did some research online and can't find any sample codes that use pure javascript. Most of them use server script as a bridge to access database. Do I have to rely on server script?

Learner

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't think you're going to find anything that ONLY uses javascript to access a database. There HAS to be some data retrieval piece submitted to the DBMS engine (to execute the SQL or FOCUS query) using an ODBC driver or otherwise (WF driver) which would be accessed as you say from ASP, Java, etc.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tony, is there a way to do that?
Not to my knowledge as JavaScript is client side and the updates would be performed server side.

Even the AJAX method fires off a server side process and reads the return.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's what i think too.. It is kind of confusing in some websites claiming that Javascript and HTML files are all it needs to access database. That's why I thought i don't need to use server script.

Thank you Tony and everyone for all the suggestions. I think i got it now. Thank you.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Oh, one more thing, is there a way capture the user ID in ASP page?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try this:

<TR>
	<TD>REMOTE_USER</TD>
	<TD><%= Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_USER") %></TD>
</TR>

Your web server has to be non-anonymous to make this happen.

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This may be a little late, but if you use AJAX and call the WFServlet, you would still be able to use the remote user as you are currently (probably) doing in WebFOCUS. If you use the parameter IBIF_adhocfex rather than the IBIF_ex, then you could build the entire modify code using JS and send the whole focexec up to the server for processing.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi GamP, Is there another way to grap that without changing the configuration of the server?

dhagen, you said, "but if you use AJAX and call the WFServlet, you would still be able to use the remote user", could you show me how?

Let me tell you the situation here. I am using HTML layout painter to build a web page that can view the static reports. The static reports reside in the same server. So, when users (after they signed in to the dashboard) ask for a report, what the system does is to go to the folder and grab the report and return it to the user. No focexec is involved. But while the user hits the veiw report button, I need to update information in one of the tables in DB. That's how AJAX comes in place. But in order for me to update the table, I need to know who views the report. So I am trying to find a way to grab the user ID using javascript, but it doesn't seem that there is a way to do it. Do you have any suggestion?