Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Appending data to a focus database

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Appending data to a focus database
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I've searched the forums, the manuals, and the help file and I can't seem to get this down, so please don't yell at me to go search on this Frowner

I am querying an external database monthly and I want to append the results to an existing focus database each month. I ran my first month and created the master and .foc file with the following:

TABLE FILE ...
ON TABLE HOLD AS PROCS FORMAT FOCUS INDEX ...

Then I ran my second month using a filedef and the same hold command. This just overwrites my file and does not append.
FILEDEF PROCS DISK RAD_NQMBC/PROCS.FOC (APPEND
TABLE FILE ...
ON TABLE HOLD AS PROCS FORMAT FOCUS INDEX ...

Other posts have said that I need to use the MODIFY command, but I do not understand the syntax for this and cannot find it in any of the documentation. Could someone explain the syntax or point me to the correct document? Or help me correct the FILEDEF method?
(I've already tried they Creating Reports with WF, Describing Data with WF, Developing Reporting applications, Dev Studio Help... )
Thanks! Jen

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jjoyce,

WebFOCUS 7.7.2
Win2003
Excel, HTML, PDF

<FreSte>
posted
Jjoyce,

MODIFY is what you need. If the HOLD-file has exactly the same structure as the file to append it to, it's not too complicated:

-* --- "Create initial file"
TABLE FILE CAR
  SUM 
    DEALER_COST
  BY COUNTRY
  BY CAR
  WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND';
  ON TABLE HOLD AS COSTS FORMAT FOCUS
END
-RUN

-* --- "Create hold file with data to append"
TABLE FILE CAR
  SUM 
    DEALER_COST
  BY COUNTRY
  BY CAR
  WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'W GERMANY';
  ON TABLE HOLD 
END
-RUN

-* --- "Append data from HOLD file to (initial)FOCUS file"
MODIFY FILE COSTS
  FIXFORM FROM HOLD
  DATA ON HOLD
END
-RUN

-* --- "check result"
TABLE FILE COSTS
  PRINT *
END

or you can specify the MODIFY part like:

-* --- "Append data from HOLD file to FOCUS file"
MODIFY FILE COSTS
  FIXFORM FROM HOLD
    MATCH COUNTRY
      ON MATCH CONTINUE
      ON NOMATCH INCLUDE
   MATCH CAR
      ON MATCH UPDATE DEALER_COST
      ON NOMATCH INCLUDE 
  DATA ON HOLD
END
-RUN

Modify cannot be used for flat files.
But if the logic is more complex and/or you are dealing with large data-volumes, I recommend the use
of dataMigrator (Information Builders ETL product). It will give you much benifits, like logging, scheduling
and more. Check the site for more info.

Cheers,

-Fred-

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
MODIFY is described in the mainframe manuals, try FOCUS for Mainframe Maintaining Databases (covering MODIFY) 7.6 .

(You'll probably get people screaming about licensing of MODIFY in a WebFOCUS world - it seems a little vague).

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fred. In this case, I think the first modify would meet my needs because I'm working with activity data that will not be modified.

In your second modify example
quote:
MATCH COUNTRY
ON MATCH CONTINUE
ON NOMATCH INCLUDE
MATCH CAR
ON NOMATCH INCLUDE

Am I reading this correctly? if hold.country does not already exist in costs, it will add the row. Otherwise, if hold.car doesn't already exist in costs, it will add the row. Otherwise, it will update costs.dealer_cost with the value of hold.dealer_cost.

We do have DataMigrator as well but I haven't used it yet. I might investigate using it for this project.

And Thanks Francis... I almost started going through the FOCUS manuals but when I saw "mainframe" I thought that cannot possibley pertain to ME!

WebFOCUS 7.7.2
Win2003
Excel, HTML, PDF

<FreSte>
posted
On second thought ... the above mentioned MODIFY should be (because it's a single segment-file):

-* --- "Append data from HOLD file to FOCUS file"
MODIFY FILE COSTS
  FIXFORM FROM HOLD
    MATCH COUNTRY CAR
      ON NOMATCH INCLUDE 
  DATA ON HOLD
END
-RUN

For a multi-segment'd FOCUS file, like

FILENAME=COSTS   , SUFFIX=FOC     , $
SEGMENT=SEG01, SEGTYPE=S1, $
  FIELDNAME=COUNTRY, ALIAS=E01, USAGE=A10, $
SEGMENT=SEG02, SEGTYPE=S1, PARENT=SEG01, $
  FIELDNAME=CAR, ALIAS=E03, USAGE=A16, $
  FIELDNAME=DEALER_COST, ALIAS=E04, USAGE=D7, $

the modify should be:

MODIFY FILE COSTS
  FIXFORM FROM HOLD
    MATCH COUNTRY
      ON MATCH CONTINUE
      ON NOMATCH INCLUDE 
    MATCH CAR
      ON NOMATCH INCLUDE 
  DATA ON HOLD
END
-RUN

You can read this like:

SEG01 is the parent of SEG02.
If COUNTRY doesn't exist in SEG01, include the record
It is does, continue with checking if CAR exists in SEG02.
If it doesn't, include record in SEG02
If it does exist, update DEALER_COST in SEG02.

-Fred-

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I once printed out a copy of the WebFOCUS Modify Reference, which is really old but still there:
WebFOCUS Modify Reference

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That document is old indeed, but it is still valid. Modify is one of the parts of the product that will not evolve any more, it is so to speak 'functionally stabilized', meaning no more effort will be put in to enhance the tool.
As far as I know there is no extra licensing costs involved in using modify. There may be costs related to the database adapter you're modifying against, but not for the tool itself.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you all- this is very helpful and informative! I feel much better now Smiler No more yelling at my PC

WebFOCUS 7.7.2
Win2003
Excel, HTML, PDF