Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Suppressing a column in an Across Grouping

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Suppressing a column in an Across Grouping
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

We have a report where we display Sales By Account By Day Across Year (or sometimes quarter), for the last three years (or quarters). We only want to see a Daily Running Total for the current year.

I was wondering if it is possible to suppress a Column in one set of an Across group of columns and display it in another.

The closest example I can come up with is from the FINANCE sample file. It does not have daily sales, but the thought is the same.

TABLE FILE FINANCE
PRINT
'FINANCE.TOP.AMOUNT' AS 'Amount'
COMPUTE RUNNINGTOT/D18 = RUNNINGTOT + FINANCE.TOP.AMOUNT; AS 'Running Total'
BY 'FINANCE.TOP.ACCOUNT'
ACROSS 'FINANCE.TOP.YEAR'
HEADING
""
FOOTING
""
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
END

In this example, we would just want to see the RUNNING TOTAL for the year 1983, and suppress the one for 1982.

The reason we are wanting to use the ACROSS phrase is to have the CENTERED title across the groups of columns.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

7.6.5 Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Well, this isn't pretty and you'll have to play around with the heading to get the years to line up over the right set of columns, but hopefully it will get you started.
TABLE FILE FINANCE
PRINT DST.YEAR
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE SAVE
END
-RUN
-SET &YEARS=&LINES;
SET ASNAMES=ON
TABLE FILE FINANCE
SUM
'FINANCE.TOP.AMOUNT' 
COMPUTE RUNNINGTOT/D18 = RUNNINGTOT + FINANCE.TOP.AMOUNT; 
BY 'FINANCE.TOP.ACCOUNT'
ACROSS 'FINANCE.TOP.YEAR'
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN
? HOLD HOLD
TABLE FILE HOLD
BY ACCOUNT
PRINT
-REPEAT ENDLOOP FOR &I FROM 1 TO &YEARS STEP 1
-READ SAVE &RUNYR.A4.
-IF &I LT &YEARS GOTO RUNTOT;
AMO&RUNYR AS 'Amount'
-RUNTOT
RUN&RUNYR AS '&RUNYR,Running Total'
-ENDLOOP
END

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I believe you wanted daily *activity* for all years, with *running total* only for the latest year. The code below does that, producing the running total as an ACROSS COMPUTE. I resorted to D.M. only for cosmetics (to capture the year for inclusion in the running total column-title).
APP PREPENDPATH IBIDEMO
DEFINE FILE CENTURYSALES
  Acct/A1=EDIT(SALESREP,'9');
  date/A8MDYY=ORDERDATE;
  Day/A5=EDIT(date,'99/99');
  sample/I1=(MONTH EQ 3) AND (Acct EQ 'A' OR 'B');
END

TABLE FILE CENTURYSALES
  WRITE MAX.YEAR AS CYEAR
  SUM QUANTITY AND COMPUTE CQUANTITY/I8C=IF (YEAR EQ MAX.YEAR) THEN QUANTITY ELSE 0;
    BY Acct BY YEAR BY Day
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT ALPHA
IF sample IS TRUE
END
-RUN
-READ HOLD &CYEAR.A4

TABLE FILE HOLD
  SUM CQUANTITY NOPRINT
  AND COMPUTE CBALANCE/I8C = IF (Acct EQ LAST Acct) THEN  CQUANTITY + LAST CBALANCE ELSE CQUANTITY ; NOPRINT
    BY Acct BY Day
  SUM QUANTITY AS Activity
    BY Acct BY Day
    ACROSS YEAR AS ''
      COMPUTE BALANCE/I8C = CBALANCE ; AS '&CYEAR Running Total'
END

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Would this do the trick?

DEFINE FILE FINANCE
RUNNINGTOT/D12 =IF YEAR EQ '1983' THEN AMOUNT + RUNNINGTOT ;
END

TABLE FILE FINANCE
SUM
AMOUNT AS 'Amount'
RUNNINGTOT NOPRINT
BY ACCOUNT
ACROSS YEAR COMPUTE TST/D12 =C4 ; AS 'Runningcost'
HEADING
""
FOOTING
""
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
END

You only need to get the current year with a parameter and the current year needs to be on a fixed place (so for your 3 years it would be C6)

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Frans -
Unless records are returned from the data source sorted by account and year, the define will give incorrect results for the running total; and if there is data reduction (multiple records per account and year), the value SUM produces for RunningTotal will be inaccurate. For both those reasons I used Compute rather than Define.
-jg

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
True,

My way would need aggregated and sorted data back from the database, which you could get with good SQL.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post