Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Report caster question.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report caster question.
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I want to trigger a report caster job when my warehouse load is done. Based on the posts here I am updating the NEXTRUNTIME field of the BOTSCHED to a date in the past, but my report still does not run. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM

Posts: 176 | Location: Desplaines | Registered: August 05, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
A couple of questions:
1. Are you scheduling using the API or MRE?
2. Did you verify that the update to the NEXTRUNTIME field on the BOTSCHED table occurred?
3. Did you set-up the original schedule as active, run once? Did it execute ok the first time?
4. Are you able to successfully run other scheduled jobs?
5. What release of WF and Caster?
6. Where are the Caster repositories relative to the WFRS -- same platform? different? Are there multiple WF reporting servers?

Posts: 118 | Location: DC | Registered: May 13, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
newto, don't you want to be updating your NEXTRUNTIME to a time in the future? not the past? when you want to trigger the job?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, The time should be in the future. It worked. However I am looking to update the NEXTRUNTIME to currrent time + 5 minutes. Does any one has a fex which calculates it. Thanks for the help.

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM

Posts: 176 | Location: Desplaines | Registered: August 05, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The quickest way I can think of:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
SET HOLDFORMAT = ALPHA
-RUN

-SET &CURR_DATE = &YYMD;
-SET &CURR_TIME = EDIT(HHMMSS('A8'),'99$99$99');

-SET &CURR_DTTM = &CURR_DATE | &CURR_TIME;

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR NOPRINT
COMPUTE CURR_DATE/HYYMDS = HINPUT(14, '&CURR_DTTM', 8, 'HYYMDS'); NOPRINT
COMPUTE NEW_DATE/HYYMDS = HADD(CURR_DATE, 'MINUTE', 5, 8, 'HYYMDS');
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-RUN

-READ HOLD &NEW_DATE.A8. &NEW_TIME.A6.

-TYPE &NEW_DATE - &NEW_TIME

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
http://www.informationbuilders.com/support/developers/rcaster.html
here's the link to jodye yates' article on this subject at Focus on Developers

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Just seems like the Report Caster People could come up with some more run time options....whew!

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We have 1 major load of our data every night. All reports should run after the load is finished. The load start at 12:00 midnight and usually finishes at 3:30AM but sometimes doesn't finish till 5:00AM. Report caster jobs are scheduled to start at 4:00AM. We are running Windows 2000 Server. I was thinking of just having the load job stop the ReportCaster service at the beginning of the job and then restarting it at the end of the load. This way the report jobs we automaticly be delayed if the load job was running late.

Has anyone tried this ?

(Production: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)
(Test: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)

Posts: 104 | Location: Boston | Registered: April 23, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
We have ReportCaster installed without MRE.
So we have no Alert feature. We also can't update the NEXTRUNTIME the way we're set up.
What I've done is write a flag file out when Data Marts are loaded, kick reportcaster off with a dialogue manager loop that does a DOS STATE command looking for the flag file, if not found, SLEEP a bit. Works great, yes it ties up agents but gets the job done.

Happy Holidays everyone!

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Carol, can you show us the code for kicking off the caster job from dm?
i understand the state command...is SLEEP a command??

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah,
Here's the code......
I set up multiple tasks where I issue the DOS STATE command once more, if the file's not found, I set &&KILRPC = 'Y'
The reason I do this is, if the job should time out because our batch never completes (once or twice a year) the next task will run. I can post that code also if you need it. Under tasks click Advanced and I think there's a pre task execution.

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
-SET &&KILL_RPC = 'N';
APP PREPENDPATH PRS
-RUN
-* kick the job off at 6:00 am every day ???
-SET &CNTR = 0;
-RESTART2
-SET &CNTR = &CNTR + 1;
SLEEP 60
-RUN
-IF &CNTR GE 480 GOTO THEEND;
-* kill the job after 8 hours!
-* Note: zero is a good return code
DOS STATE \\IMPRS01\APPS\PMS\DATA\PAFLAG.DAT
-IF &RETCODE NE 0 GOTO NOFLAG;
-* wait a minutes and check again
SLEEP 60
-RUN
-* when flag is found, run Reports
-SET &&PORTFOLIO = 'AEMBS';
EX RC_YPORTAPP
-RUN
-* tasks are set up in RC job to other reports
-GOTO THEEND
-RUN
-NOFLAG
-GOTO RESTART2
-RUN
-THEEND

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ah! i see. you're not actually calling caster via dm, you're running a job in caster which itself contains dm that executes some embedded code, or not, ... and SLEEP is a focus command. ah. i get it. Thanks for posting.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, this is in the ReportCaster job to replace the Alert feature that we don't have.

Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't think the SLEEP command is WebFOCUS - it's Windows. You need a Windows Resource Kit to activate this command.

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
hmmm. i just tried it
SLEEP 10
on just some car file read.
worked.
i am in fact on a windows server, tho. maybe thats why

posted Hide Post
What is the rational of only having the alert feature available in mre?