Focal Point
Warning - usage of characters in Hold file name

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3711035072

February 08, 2008, 04:01 AM
Tony A
Warning - usage of characters in Hold file name
Folks,

A little heads up as this has caused more than a little hair loss for me this morning.

I am testing a piece of code that uses MATCH, so in a usual manner I choose a hold file name that will not conflict with anything else - in this instance something with 'xxxx' within it.

APP PREPENDPATH IBISAMP
MATCH FILE GGSALES
SUM DOLLARS
    BUDDOLLARS
 BY REGION
 BY PRODUCT
RUN
FILE GGSALES
SUM UNITS
    BUDUNITS
 BY REGION
 BY PRODUCT
AFTER MATCH HOLD AS Rxxxx_H1 OLD-OR-NEW
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE Rxxxx_H1
PRINT *
END

In essence there is nothing wrong with this code syntactically or logically. But try and run it and you get the error message -
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS SELECTED=     4317  LINES=     39
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS SELECTED=     4317  LINES=     39
0 LINES OF MATCH OUTPUT     =       39
0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE     14  IN PROCEDURE ADHOCRQ FOCEXEC *
(FOC36219)  AN ERROR OCCURED WHEN OPENING FILE: Rxxxx_H1
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        0  LINES=      0

Change the 'xxxx' to 'XXXX' and it works OK.

So beware of using lowercase characters in your hold file names.

This is true of the 7.6.2 installation. Interested to know what other versions etc. are affected.

T



In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
February 08, 2008, 04:23 AM
Alan B
Ditto in 7.6.4

Wonder if this has anything to do with APP HOLD appname being ignored for AFTER MATCH hold files.

Works with an APP FI.


Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007
February 08, 2008, 04:28 AM
Tony A
Forgot to mention the reason behind the open error -

The .mas file gets created but the .ftm doesn't!

Figure that one out!

T



In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
February 08, 2008, 04:35 AM
Alan B
You're right Tony, not created. I thought it was just ignoring the APP HOLD and stuffing it in edatemp.


Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007
February 08, 2008, 05:50 PM
Leah
I have a feeling this relates to a requirement not to put files in mixed case for the names for consistency across platforms. Which interestingly enoug doesn't apply to mfd references I've found.


Leah
February 08, 2008, 06:03 PM
GinnyJakes
I tried this on AIX, did an APP HOLD, and I didn't get the master or the ftm file.


Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
February 11, 2008, 02:28 AM
Tony A
Thanks for the feedback Folks.

At first I thought that it was going to be the old "WF changes filenames, fieldnames etc. to uppercase" but I tried tabling off of RXXXX_H1 with no joy. So I turned temperase off and grabbed the files from edatemp. That's when I found that the .ftm file wasn't even created.

Nice to have a sanity check across versions and platforms though.

Forewarned is forearmed!!

T



In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10