Focal Point
London Summit: WebFOCUS is the Swiss Army Knife of BIs.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3761086803

November 26, 2008, 07:51 AM
hammo1j
London Summit: WebFOCUS is the Swiss Army Knife of BIs.
Went to London Summit where I saw Gerry speak about the future of wf. He seemed to imply that wf would increasingly be marketed as a tool that could offer a more complete solution than other BIs which just reported. In particular you can use WF to update back to the rdbms.

Other stuff was that he would increasingly be using wf as an enabler for freeware and open source, such as integration with free stats packs. (ANALYSE FILE coming back?).

Also saw a demo of RA replacement Info Assist which looks very nice but is an extra cost option. They regarded this as a Cognos killer and development has been very swift. I reserve judgement until checking it for stability but it seems a good value item to revamp the look and feel of your BI.

Please note all this is in my opinion what Gerry was saying and does not represent his authorative opinion in any way.

What do others think of this news?

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
November 26, 2008, 01:08 PM
Frans
I think this strategy of being an broad enabler in today's "Internet cloud" trend is not bad. It's kinda tricky working with a lot of open source, since these components could also be implemented in open source BI applications. But it's nice that all is included free in the WebFOCUS package.

Infoassist can be a very good competitor for Cognos. Some customers see this tool and first think they're looking at Cognos. So IBI was always blamed for not making shiny bling-bling tools and now they have it!

Did you also see the Flex integration in PDF? I thought this was very impressive!

P.s. I think the London Summit should be held earlier in the year, this 'news' was also at the June Summit.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
November 26, 2008, 01:16 PM
susannah
john , there is a stats integration coming, and dec 10 there is a webinar on the subject... not quite analyze, but something better, presumably, called "Rstat". dec 10, 11-12 est, go sign up.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
November 26, 2008, 01:17 PM
Francis Mariani
It's funny, when I bought my last Swiss army knife, it came with all the attachments, I didn't have to pay extra for them.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
November 26, 2008, 01:22 PM
Tomsweb
Amen Francis Amen

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
APP Studio, Developer Studio, InfoAssist, Dashboards, charts & reports
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36
November 27, 2008, 03:46 AM
susannah
Good One

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
November 27, 2008, 04:06 AM
<JG>
quote:
when I bought my last Swiss army knife, it came with all the attachments, I didn't have to pay extra for them.

Quite right. But the number and version of attachments depends on the model and the last time I looked every one of those models is a different price.
November 27, 2008, 06:53 AM
nubi
im quickly coming to the conclusion that is more like this swiss army knife:

WF Tool Set

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor
November 27, 2008, 07:00 AM
Tony A
Francis,

When you buy your latest camera and a new lense comes out, do you get that at no extra cost? Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
November 28, 2008, 04:18 PM
FrankDutch
When you buy a canon lens you even have to pay extra for the bag and the hood....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

November 29, 2008, 01:50 AM
Francis Mariani
How many bug fixes does it take to make a camera lens work like it's supposed to?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
December 01, 2008, 08:54 AM
MTO-Solutions-Engineering
Actually, I did buy a camera lens once that had to go back to the factory for a bug fix. They are no longer just tubes filled with expensive glass. They now have electronics tucked into them as well !!

(but I know what you are trying to say Francis)

Richard

MTO
WebFOCUS Dev Studio 5.3.2 (trying to upgrade to 7.x !)
Unix with Win XP front ends
output usually PDF (and some HTML and XLS at times)
December 01, 2008, 09:24 AM
Tony A
quote:
(but I know what you are trying to say Francis)
As do we all .... but it's great fun fishing!! Wink (note: not phishing!!)
December 01, 2008, 09:46 AM
Francis Mariani
Small game hunting, are we, Tony? Wink

Francis