Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     London Summit: WebFOCUS is the Swiss Army Knife of BIs.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
London Summit: WebFOCUS is the Swiss Army Knife of BIs.
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Went to London Summit where I saw Gerry speak about the future of wf. He seemed to imply that wf would increasingly be marketed as a tool that could offer a more complete solution than other BIs which just reported. In particular you can use WF to update back to the rdbms.

Other stuff was that he would increasingly be using wf as an enabler for freeware and open source, such as integration with free stats packs. (ANALYSE FILE coming back?).

Also saw a demo of RA replacement Info Assist which looks very nice but is an extra cost option. They regarded this as a Cognos killer and development has been very swift. I reserve judgement until checking it for stability but it seems a good value item to revamp the look and feel of your BI.

Please note all this is in my opinion what Gerry was saying and does not represent his authorative opinion in any way.

What do others think of this news?

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I think this strategy of being an broad enabler in today's "Internet cloud" trend is not bad. It's kinda tricky working with a lot of open source, since these components could also be implemented in open source BI applications. But it's nice that all is included free in the WebFOCUS package.

Infoassist can be a very good competitor for Cognos. Some customers see this tool and first think they're looking at Cognos. So IBI was always blamed for not making shiny bling-bling tools and now they have it!

Did you also see the Flex integration in PDF? I thought this was very impressive!

P.s. I think the London Summit should be held earlier in the year, this 'news' was also at the June Summit.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
john , there is a stats integration coming, and dec 10 there is a webinar on the subject... not quite analyze, but something better, presumably, called "Rstat". dec 10, 11-12 est, go sign up.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It's funny, when I bought my last Swiss army knife, it came with all the attachments, I didn't have to pay extra for them.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Amen Francis Amen

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
APP Studio, Developer Studio, InfoAssist, Dashboards, charts & reports
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Good One

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
when I bought my last Swiss army knife, it came with all the attachments, I didn't have to pay extra for them.

Quite right. But the number and version of attachments depends on the model and the last time I looked every one of those models is a different price.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
im quickly coming to the conclusion that is more like this swiss army knife:

WF Tool Set

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

When you buy your latest camera and a new lense comes out, do you get that at no extra cost? Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
When you buy a canon lens you even have to pay extra for the bag and the hood....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
How many bug fixes does it take to make a camera lens work like it's supposed to?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I did buy a camera lens once that had to go back to the factory for a bug fix. They are no longer just tubes filled with expensive glass. They now have electronics tucked into them as well !!

(but I know what you are trying to say Francis)

Richard

MTO
WebFOCUS Dev Studio 5.3.2 (trying to upgrade to 7.x !)
Unix with Win XP front ends
output usually PDF (and some HTML and XLS at times)

Posts: 23 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: January 09, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
(but I know what you are trying to say Francis)
As do we all .... but it's great fun fishing!! Wink (note: not phishing!!)

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Small game hunting, are we, Tony? Wink

Francis