Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Web Focus upgrade: 8.0.8 --> 8.2.x

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Web Focus upgrade: 8.0.8 --> 8.2.x
 Login/Join

posted
Dear All!

My company is currently running WF 8.0.8. We are interested in upgrading to the latest 8.2.x release.

From a very high level, what has been your experience in doing this jump? Was it relatively simple or did it take months to complete? Are there any common pitfalls to avoid?

Our move from version 7 to 8.0.8 took a very, very long time to complete... so I'm hoping going to 8.2.x will be less painful (even if just a little).

Thanks in advance for your responses!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's not as bad as 7 to 8. The repository does change from 8.0 to 8.2. However, I think if you reach out to IB tech support or call your IB tech account manager, they'll be able to give you the insight you're looking for.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hey Gareth

Babak's right -It's not as tough as the 7 to 8 was for so many people.

But - there are things to think about. Be sure to visit WebFOCUS Upgrade Resource Center

you'll need to scroll down to the 8.0->8203 section.

I'll tell you at the moment, in 8203, parts are not super staightforward. Some of the doc is missing descriptions (they're working on it).

Generally, you have a couple of ways to go at it, but an 'in place' update is supposed to work for you (I think).

Besides the changes in the repository, there's also new and /or different configuration files that point to the reposistory (among other settings).

So the first step you'll probably see is to update the configuration files first, then you'll cut the repository updater loose to update your repository tables.

Do make sure to get a backup of your existing repository and all it's configuration files for good measure before you start.

I just did a single tier 8105m to split tier 8203 a couple of weeks ago. We haven't really tested much yet so I can't tell you much about that part. I can say it looks pretty good.

I also hear that 8204 will have smoother / easier upgrade tools. So that might be something to wait on.

Toby

Expert
posted Hide Post
Good One
quote:
It's not as bad as 7 to 8
Yeah, that was a tuff one Frowner

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post