Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Agent Spawn - Single Fex

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Agent Spawn - Single Fex
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hopefully someone has a thought about this. I have a single fex that has a few other -
INCLUDES. I was under the impression that a single fex would tie to a single agent, but I have long running report fex, due to the SQL, but I see 3 agents spawn (not all together but as needed) but I see they are making DBMS calls.
The server doesn’t have any limitations on the agent itself, so the agent has full run of the house.

I had the understanding that a –INCLUDE would use the same agent, but a –EXEC would spawn a different agent. There are no –EXEC’s in the program.

Is it possible for the database to multi-thread the SQL on its side, but spawn agents on the Webfocus side?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Master
posted Hide Post
I think -MRNOEDIT INCLUDE spawn only one agent. As I understand it, the MRNOEDIT pulls in the INCLUDEd code at run time whereas a straight INCLUDE spawns out.

I could be wrong.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
It goes top-down, and these agents are DBMS calls, so if the first SQL is taking "X" amount of time to return, I don't see how it can move on to do further processing to spawn additional agents.

Thanks for the quick response.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
I have seen some examples of agents with very long running RDBMS calls hit some sort of time limit and spawn a second agent.

I thought that is was fixed.

How many records is being read/retrieved.

How long are the agents running ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Depending on selection, no more then 2,000 records are being brought back to Webfocus. Just eye balling it, roughly about 8 minutes or more.

We are working on the performance of the SQL call to reduce as much as possible, but the concern is concurrency usage with the way my server is configured with agent max and queing turned on.

Need to understand what my user to agent ratio is or in this case fex to agent ratio is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MattC,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Guru
posted Hide Post
Worked with IBI on this issue and we have a possible solution. It's relates to using Weblogic as a Web Server. There is a setting on the Weblogic side called

WLIOTimeoutSecs (new name for HungServerRecoverSecs)

- Defines the amount of time the plug-in waits for a response to a request from WebLogic Server.

Basically as the RDBMS call is waiting for a response as it surpasses this wait time a new agent spawns. Working with our server folks to make a change to increase this, so I will update this post if this does solve the issue.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05