Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Is it possible to control graph/chart formatting with CSS?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Is it possible to control graph/chart formatting with CSS?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to FOCUS in general, so I'm not sure if I'm even asking this question correctly.

The dashboard that my team is creating is, in typical fashion, a mix of summarized values and a series of graphs and charts.

Using external style sheets to format the fex's that contain the rollups of values went along just fine.

Formatting Charts/Graphs hasn't worked yet. I'm reading on formatting through the API's, however for consistency, I still hoped that it was possible to control how graphs & charts are formatted through the same style sheets we reference elsewhere.

Could someone tell me if this is a possibility? If not, is editing of the generated API scripts the only way to control the look/feel of charts and graphs?

Thanks for the help Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS v. 7.6.10

Posts: 29 | Location: Bellingham, WA | Registered: October 01, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What you have asked is a simple question, but the answer is not so simple.

The graph is self is formatted by the graph control language, check the documentation.

Around the graph is wrapped a "HTML report", this can be styled with CSS.

What sort of styling did you want to do ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, thanks for your response.

The goal is to standardize things like font properties (family, scalable sizes, color), and potentially the graphed colors, the background color on the page. At least, these are the things that come most readily to mind.

I have been reading the documentation, however there's quite a lot in PDF that we've been reading through, however I hadn't landed on an absolute answer and thought to turn to the actual user base for help.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

WebFOCUS v. 7.6.10

Posts: 29 | Location: Bellingham, WA | Registered: October 01, 2008Report This Post
<JG>
posted
A graph it's self is an image and as such its properties cannot be controlled by CSS

Changes in a graph are controlled using the API. Which is either generated using the
graph tools (I would use the advanced graph assistant as much as possible) or by
manually coding the API calls in the graph style section of any generated code.

You can apply a template that sets all the basic properties of a graph. The default templates
are in drive:\ibi\srv76\home\graph\ called IBIsomething.TXT you can customize these and decide on
one as your standard. However if you upgrade WebFocus the customizations will be lost unless you
manually copy any changes back.

It really is a case of play and decide.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much JG. I think that's probably the answer I was looking for, even if not the one I was hoping for.

Appreciate your response Smiler
I'll check out the template idea, too.!

WebFOCUS v. 7.6.10

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you have the css file accessible to the WebFOCUS server, you may be able to read it with WebFOCUS and extract fonts sizes and colours. Then use them in the graph control language.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
How about the following method which I have used in in the past? That is, put your "standard" graph formatting commands in a fex and simply -INCLUDE it. I've used that along with &Variable based fexes to maintain colors for pie slices and bars as well.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post