Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Creating a master from an excel file.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Creating a master from an excel file.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,
can someone tell me -How to create the master file from a flat file or excel or csv.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7610, WINDOWS
EXCEL/PDF/HTML

Master
posted Hide Post
Go to the app folder in which you want to create the master file. Go to master files folder and right click and select upload data file.
Upload your excel or flat file (select respective option) and changes any field formats if needed and you can create master file.

HTML,PDF,EXL2K, Active, All

Posts: 484 | Registered: February 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi enigma,
i know the data upload file option.
But i want to accomplish How to create a master and Query against the master,if the excel or flat file is located on the C drive or any other drive in you machine.

WF 7610, WINDOWS
EXCEL/PDF/HTML

Master
posted Hide Post
Generally I copy the flat file onto app folder and then will create metadata. I never created metadata directly from local drive.
That would be the same creating using Upload data file where you select file from local drive. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish.
Will that file be changed regularly or something?

HTML,PDF,EXL2K, Active, All

Posts: 484 | Registered: February 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
yes,the file will be changed regularly on a Daily basis.
the developer gets the file on to the local drive(C:\) every day.so need to create the master from the flat file from the local drive daily rather than copying it into the APP Folder and creating.

WF 7610, WINDOWS
EXCEL/PDF/HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If it's a flat file or csv file, you can just create the master and store it somewhere in your apps folders. When you need to access it, all you need is a filedef that points to the correct location. This will of course only work if the server that is accessing the file is on the same machine as where the file is stored.
If it is an excel file, then it is a bit more complicated. You can create a masterf ile for an excel file, but you will need to have:
- a named range within the excel sheet that defines the range of cells available to webfocus
- a system dsn odbc connector which points to the name defined in the sheet
- a configured odbc adapter in your reporting server that points to the odbc connector
If that's all in place, then you can create your master file and use it. Again, this all needs to be on the smae machine.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post