Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Installing WF 5.23
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We are planning on installing WF 5.23 in January. I thought I'ld ask to see if anyone has experienced anything we need to be aware of. We would like this to go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks Smiler

Posts: 69 | Location: OH | Registered: November 09, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you upgrading from a 4.3.x version. If so did you use print spooling. 5.3.x only supports ip addressing for printers which is why we haven't gone to production with it yet.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes, we are upgrading from 4.36. No, we are not using print spooling. Thanks, any comments are appreciated.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I hope it was a typo and you meant
WF 5.3.2 .

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was. I meant 5.3.2

Expert
posted Hide Post
is your site a self-serve or Mre? and do you have Caster? and do you plan to install it on a test box first and do a dry run? (strongly encouraged..4 and 5 are very different.).and are you going to get your tech rep to come over and install it for you or are you going to go it on your own?

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
We are using MRE. We also use Report Caster.
Yes, we are going to load on a test box first.
No, we were going to try to install ourselves rather have an IBI person here. Do you recommond having an IBI person do the install ?

Expert
posted Hide Post
1.oh yes indeed. Have a tech rep guide you thru.
version 4 is all about edapath
version 5 is all about apppath
moi, i installed with apppath disabled and edapath retained...you'll have to make that decision for your site..they're very different .
2.Caster is quite cool in 5.
3.MRE has a problem which may or may not impact your site...In version 4, executing fexes that are resident in one domain but executed from another domain was easy to do. In version5, they've killed that capability. So a test box is an absolute necessity.
4.And of course, 5 is java based so some of your code will bomb unexpectedly...all about java reserved words. There's a thread buried deep in this board about some of the words. No biggie, just some code might need polishing.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Cheri,
We migrated from 4.3.6 to 5.2.3 plus patches to 5.2.5. I second the use of an IBI tech if you can get that approved, I could not. I don't remember exact issues but I know that there were reasons we had to apply all the patches up to 5.2.5 and that we had a problem with the migration utility for the MRE. It is a one time shot. I installed with 1 server three environments (Development, Quality (user testing) and Production ) which is easier than what we had in 4.3.6.

I wish I could have had the expertise and guidance of an IBI tech.... get one if you can and don't let them leave until they get MRE migrated, a Report scheduled, and a Dev Studio App migrated and running...

Posts: 132 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 12, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
and i second webfocuspgm's motion...make sure all the functionality is tested before they leave.
A good techrep is worth his/her weight in gold.

<Grzegorz>
posted
There are some differences with displaying graphs in 5.3 and the previous versions.

1. The graph legend by default was placed on the right side of the graph frame, and in 5.3 it is displayed below the frame, so it may cause the legend to clash with the chart after upgrading.
The solution is to use the new setting of the graph API: setLegendPosition(2); - it should display the legend on the right side again.

2. When you use graphs displayed as the HTMLTABLE on the HTMLFORM template, the graphs may not be displayed at all. The solution is to set the CGI variable WF_BURST_OUTPUT to OFF. In order to use the same code both in 5.3 and an older version, place it at the beginnig of the FEX:

-IF &FOCREL LT 'R72053' THEN GOTO :PRE53;
-TYPE WEBFOCUS CGIVAR WF_BURST_OUTPUT=OFF
-:PRE53

It is not a big issue, as it is easy to right the script or program for automating the FOCUS code changes. WebFOCUS report logic is just the text, so it is easy to modify or generate it automatically.

Report This Post