Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Filtering based on user characteristic

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Filtering based on user characteristic
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to filter reports to only display organizations that share a characteristic with the organization that the user works for (in this case it's a population range). While I can filter to display only the user's organization, I can't get it to display the set of organizations I want.

I'd like it to filter automatically rather than require the user to select a filter option.

Thanks,
Marie

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marie Eberlein,

WebFOCUS 8201, Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are these characteristics stored in a column? You can use DBA in the master file using RESTRICT to make your reports and charts to always send a specific WHERE test against this column. DBA will identify who's logged in and issue a WHERE test based on whatever data you want them to see.

Something like this:
USER=rm_central, ACCESS=R, RESTRICT=VALUE_WHERE, NAME=SYSTEM, VALUE=REGION EQ 'Central';, $

In this example, if rm_central logs into WebFOCUS, every request will have a WHERE REGION EQ 'Central'; appended to it.

Look up DBA and RESTRICT in the doc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BabakNYC,

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like this is applying a restriction to a single user--does it work to apply it to all users?

Not this, because this did not work, but something like this:
USER=&&USERID, ACCESS=R, RESTRICT=VALUE_WHERE, NAME=SYSTEM, VALUE=TABLE.CHARACTERISTIC;,$

Not sure how I would include an EQ statement in the value because I want it to pull the value of the characteristic from the table for the particular user, then apply the filter based on that value.

Also may be putting the code in the wrong place or be missing something else, because I haven't been able to get it to work when defining a where statement for a particular user either. This was the most related documentation I found, but maybe I'm missing something better.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You have to read up on DBA in the doc. There are specific syntax you need to add to the master file for the behavior you want. You can use App Studio if you have admin access to the master files and use the GUI to paint these restrictions. I'd start with something simple and then do the more ambitious stuff you are describing.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Marie, please update your signature to add the IB version you are using it will help us pointing you to the right direction (version)

Search for DBA :
IBI 8.2.0.1

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
A couple notes...

You can't parameterize &&USERID. It doesn't work that way... You can however "SET PASS = X". Unfortunately the way DBA restrictions is setup is very antiquated and if you ask me, behaves like a port from the Mainframe FOCUS days. I would think of the "USER" value in the DBA file more as a group then a user... You can then use the set pass command to assign that user to the "Group" you created in the DBA file. Also there is the SET PERMPASS command. The PERMPASS command though will make that PASS permenant for the Session and you will not be able to change it. Where the PASS command can be changed from GROUP A to GROUP B if needed. As Babak and Martin mention, you will want to familiarize yourself with the documentation on it.

Also, another thing to note is that in Version 8.1.5+ the NAME attribute has been adjusted so that if NAME=SYSTEM, the restriction will ALWAYS be invoked in the JOIN request. If you want the behavior to be so that the restriction ONLY occurs when the table is needed to satisfy the query, then you need to use NAME=[segment name]. Before V8.1.5 NAME=SYSTEM did not enforce that the join occured.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Marie

I think you could benefit from using the MFD_PROFILE that does the lookup based on the user. You can use &FOCSECUSER in the MFD_PROFILE procedure in the WHERE condition for the user. Also I have been successful in using USER=&FOCSECUSER in the DBA portion. The SET PASS = &FOCSECUSER needs to be in the mfd_profile fex. Below is a sample of the CAR master and the MFD_PROFILE.

FILENAME=CAR, SUFFIX=FOC , MFD_PROFILE=ibisamp/site_profile, $
VARIABLE NAME=&&CAR_WHERE, $
VARIABLE NAME=&FOCSECUSER, $
SEGMENT=ORIGIN, SEGTYPE=S1, $
FIELDNAME=COUNTRY, ALIAS=COUNTRY, USAGE=A10, FIELDTYPE=I, $
SEGMENT=COMP, SEGTYPE=S1, PARENT=ORIGIN, $
FIELDNAME=CAR, ALIAS=CARS, USAGE=A16, $
SEGMENT=CARREC, SEGTYPE=S1, PARENT=COMP, $
FIELDNAME=MODEL, ALIAS=MODEL, USAGE=A24, $
SEGMENT=BODY, SEGTYPE=S1, PARENT=CARREC, $
FIELDNAME=BODYTYPE, ALIAS=TYPE, USAGE=A12, $
FIELDNAME=SEATS, ALIAS=SEAT, USAGE=I3, $
FIELDNAME=DEALER_COST, ALIAS=DCOST, USAGE=D7, $
FIELDNAME=RETAIL_COST, ALIAS=RCOST, USAGE=D7, $
FIELDNAME=SALES, ALIAS=UNITS, USAGE=I6, $
SEGMENT=SPECS, SEGTYPE=U, PARENT=BODY, $
FIELDNAME=LENGTH, ALIAS=LEN, USAGE=D5, $
FIELDNAME=WIDTH, ALIAS=WIDTH, USAGE=D5, $
FIELDNAME=HEIGHT, ALIAS=HEIGHT, USAGE=D5, $
FIELDNAME=WEIGHT, ALIAS=WEIGHT, USAGE=D6, $
FIELDNAME=WHEELBASE, ALIAS=BASE, USAGE=D6.1, $
FIELDNAME=FUEL_CAP, ALIAS=FUEL, USAGE=D6.1, $
FIELDNAME=BHP, ALIAS=POWER, USAGE=D6, $
FIELDNAME=RPM, ALIAS=RPM, USAGE=I5, $
FIELDNAME=MPG, ALIAS=MILES, USAGE=D6, $
FIELDNAME=ACCEL, ALIAS=SECONDS, USAGE=D6, $
SEGMENT=WARANT, SEGTYPE=S1, PARENT=COMP, $
FIELDNAME=WARRANTY, ALIAS=WARR, USAGE=A40, $
SEGMENT=EQUIP, SEGTYPE=S1, PARENT=COMP, $
FIELDNAME=STANDARD, ALIAS=EQUIP, USAGE=A40, $
END
DBA=admin, $
USER=&FOCSECUSER, ACCESS=R, RESTRICT=VALUE_WHERE, NAME=SYSTEM, VALUE=&&CAR_WHERE ;, $

MFD_PROFILE code

-DEFAULTH &COUNTRY_WHERE = 'All';
-IF &FOCSECUSER EQ 'admin' GOTO SKIPLOOKUP;
-*-------------------------------------------------
-* Dynamically Create Security Filters Set
TABLE FILE USER_XREF
PRINT COUNTRY
WHERE USER_ID EQ '&FOCSECUSER'
ON TABLE SAVE AS WHERE_COUNTRY
END
-IF &LINES EQ 0 THEN GOTO SETBOGUSWHERE;
-* Parse Record Set into Where Condition Parameters
-RUN
-SET &COUNTER = 0;
-READLOOP1
-READ WHERE_COUNTRY NOCLOSE &COUNTRY.A9.
-IF &COUNTER GT 0 THEN GOTO MOREFILES1 ;
-SET &COUNTRY = TRUNCATE(&COUNTRY);
-SET &COUNTRY_WHERE = '''&COUNTRY.EVAL''';
-GOTO SETCNTR1
-MOREFILES1
-SET &COUNTRY = TRUNCATE(&COUNTRY);
-SET &COUNTRY_WHERE = &COUNTRY_WHERE | ' OR ' | '''&COUNTRY.EVAL''';
-SETCNTR1
-SET &COUNTER = &COUNTER + 1;
-IF &COUNTER GE &LINES GOTO ENDLOOP1 ;
-GOTO READLOOP1
-ENDLOOP1
-SET &&CAR_WHERE = 'COUNTRY EQ ' | &COUNTRY_WHERE;
-RUN
-GOTO SKIPLOOKUP
-SETBOGUSWHERE
-SET &&CAR_WHERE = 'COUNTRY EQ ' | '''NOCOUNTRY''' ;
-SKIPLOOKUP
SET PASS = &FOCSECUSER

Hope this helps.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I will mark this as closed for the moment and check out the documentation, then see if I have any more specific questions after that.

WebFOCUS 8201, Windows