Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Maintain Web Link and Function in the same event

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Maintain Web Link and Function in the same event
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello All,

Is there a way to launch a .fex using a web link from Maintain, and then run a maintain function after the .fex is ran from one single event handler. We are sending a list of orders to someone, and we don't want to send duplicate orders. They have asked that I flip a status field in the order record once the .fex has been ran. This will insure that each record only shows up one time. I can't seem to figure out how to call this function from the same event that launches the web link. Does anyone know how I can do this? Or some other method of launching a .fex in a new window and calling a function from one single user action?

Thanks,
Bryan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: brjohnson,

Bryan Johnson
WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Maintain
Win 7
Excel, PDF, HTML

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

Could you use a regular Maintain trigger, and in the triggered case:

Case trigger

EXEC somefocexec

Update statusfield

code to notify user of actions

Endcase

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for responding Dave,

That would work fine, but I do not know how to launch a .fex in a new window using the EXEC command. All the documentation about the EXEC command details how to use the results inside of the Maintain app, but I want to open the .fex in a new window. Can you point me to some documentation that would help?

Thanks

Bryan Johnson
WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Maintain
Win 7
Excel, PDF, HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

That is a thing that can be done in maintain, but not with 'standard' maintain actions.
What I did to accomplish this is to create the url for the fex to be executed and store it in a hidden field on the form. Next thing I did was to create a javascript and associate it with the form. The javascript checks to see if the hidden url field is not blank and if that is the case, it opens up a new window and sets the location to the value of the url in the hidden field. Since the javascript is connected to the form, it will run when the form loads. The only drawback hat I've not been able to overcome is that the new window with the result of the focexec is always in the background. Maintain puts its own window in front of it, even though the new window is created after the maintain window. I solved that by putting the result of my fex in an iframe on the maintain window, but maybe you can come up with a better solution that fits your own situation best.

Hope this helps a bit ....

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

You could also create a new Form with an HTML Table bound to a new stack that you define to receive the contents of your FORMAT HTMLTABLE report focexec. One field with a format of A256, or maybe A0, should do it.

Then you can open the form to display the report, and provide a close button to return to the main form.

Or, use an iframe as GamP suggests.

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies,

I decided to just write the entire event in JavaScript.

randomNum = Math.random();
   sURL = "/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIF_ex=book_orders_review_summary&IBIAPP_app=bookorderform bookorderform&num=" + randomNum;
   window.open(sURL);
   IWCTrigger("FlagOrders"); 

This seems to be working fine with my testing. I was wondering though if this would possibly cause problems if I was working with larger data sets? What would happen if I had thousands of records instead of less than 100? Could FlagOrders( ) execute while the report was still gathering data?

Bryan Johnson
WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Maintain
Win 7
Excel, PDF, HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Technically there would not be any problem with that, they are two different and 'unrelated' processes. They do both consume resources though, so they will share those.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Bryan,

I would have thought that the simplest approach would be for your report fex to also update
the flag

1. Table file extract data and hold it
2. maintain update flag based on extracted data
3. generate report based on hold data

Report This Post