Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] ReportCaster agent dies, RC console shows it still alive

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] ReportCaster agent dies, RC console shows it still alive
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I've had this situation twice in the last 2 weeks. I have made no configuration changes in the RC config or WF Server config.

I have noticed an agent running in the RC console (http://server:8080/rcaster/console/RCHConsole.jsp?IBIRC_language=en_US > Job Status), but there is no corresponding agent running in the WF Server Console (http://server:8121/webconsole?IBIS_page=HOME&contentpage=AGENTS)

In the latest case, I checked the RC log entries for the wayward job and did not see an entry for the scheduled time it was running for (6 am). I did see an entry for 10 am, which corresponded to the rerun. This makes sense because RC only writes out the log entry upon completion.

How can I tell what is causing these agents to crash like this? Besides restarting the Distribution Server task, what can I do to clean out the agent from the RC queue (we only support 5 concurrent agents, so this reduces my throughput by 20%).

- ABT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It could be due to the memory size refresh on the Reporting server too or may be some changes on the box where the Report Caster is installed. The change may not be to the Report Caster. Were there any changes to the web server (TOMCAT).

2 years back we faced similar issue but unfortunately we couldn't get a solution from IBI itself but at last re-installed the client. I am not suggesting to re-install but IBI may have some kind of solution now. Please check with their techsupport

WebFOCUS - ver8201
[ReportingServers: Windows 64bit;
Client: tomcat and IIS on windows 2012
AppStudio

Posts: 104 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: November 08, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. There haven't been any changes to Tomcat since forever ago. There were some recent changes to WF server to adjust the DEFAULT Data Service (changed agent_refresh to 1 to combat other issues).

quote:
Please check with their techsupport

My experience with IBI first line support has not been generally positive for sporadic issues such as this.

WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Did you find the solutions for this issue?

Windows, All Formats

Posts: 184 | Registered: December 27, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
how about going directly to the server and looking for active agents in the file system
c:/ibi/srv77/wfs/edatemp/ts.....
open the most recent directory and just look.
i always put a module in the top of each fex that writes a documentatin file to the agent directory, just a .txt file named the same as the fex that's running.
and i -WRITE to that file at various stages from within my fex, so i always know whats up.
Sometimes i put a SLEEP 60 command in my fex to force the agent to just stay there a minute till i can navigate over and look.
That's what i suggest you do in this case.
navigate to the edatemp then run your caster job and look at what goes on....

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post