Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report hangs
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

I am using the OLAP feature of webfocus to generate a report.The problem is the report hangs if i have large amount of data to be generated.Is there any way to fix this.

Regards,
Aditya

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What do you call a large amount of data.
If you can predict the number of rows you might consider not running the olap process.
The drill down would than be a more reasonable solution.
The number of rows you can handle are also dependand on the client system (Firefox or Microsoft or others) where firefox can do more than microsoft.

The Olap function is nice on a small amount of data.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am using the OLAP feature of webfocus to generate a report.The problem is the report hangs if i have large amount of data to be generated.Is there any way to fix this.

When you say 'hangs', is it when retrieving into the spreadsheet? You may have to 'rollup' and not have as much detail for the report if you are bringing back all detail. There is a limit on how much the spreadsheet application can handle. Even the memory of the machine to which the information is returning can have an affect.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Leah

OLAP is IMO something else than Excel.
It's a bit confusing, you can do an olap in excel, but if Aditya says to use the OLAP feature of webfocus, it is the feature IN webfocus.
Nevertheless you are right aboout the limitation in excel. Only 65000 records, but who will work with that amount of records in Excel. (Who will work with Excel....)

Frank

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

First to clarify on the OLAP feature.Webfocus comes with an OLAP feature that when used allows the users to drag and drop columns,filter data on the report itself.

Regarding the no. of rows fetched,i am fetching approx. 16,000 records.The report works fine when i generate a plain HTML report.But when i generate a HTML report with the OLAP feature enabled(OLAP control panel),it takes a lot of time to fetch the data hanging ultimately and hence i need to use the task bar to 'end task' the generated report.

Is there a limit to the amount of data that can be fetched using the OLAP feature?

Regards,
Aditya

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aditya

There is always a limit, but what the limit is will highly depend on the webbrowser and your local PC and the capacity of the server.
IMHO a olap on 16000 rows is not the way it should work.

ask your local support what limitations you have to deal with.

Frank

Frank

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aditya

Frank is absolutely correct. OLAP relies on the browser and javascript which can both be resource hungry with large amounts of data. Performance drop-off can be dramatic, even though javascript is not over-used by IB. The browser DOM can make accessing large amounts of data very slow.

OLAP is about summarised data that can be used for an easy to digest view of business area performance. 16,000 records does not give the user a chance to digest anything really.

What are you trying to achieve? There may be a better approach to you problem than this.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aditya

If I was a sales rep for IBI I might think of Visual Discovery.

Frank

Frank

<JJI>
posted
quote:
IMHO

Frank what do you mean by "IMHO". Can you please explain.

Thanks,

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In My Honest Opinion

I thought this was a common short writing.

like LOL and ROFL and BTW and IMO...

Frank

<JJI>
posted
Thanks Frank,

That one I didn't know. Red Face

Report This Post