Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Simulate three-tier environment configuration

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Simulate three-tier environment configuration
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I would like to simulate a three-tier environment on my one-tier workstation.

On a three-tier environment the HTML files are on the web server machine and the WebFOCUS files are on the WebFOCUS server machine.

In a one-tier or two-tier environment, the HTML files and the WebFOCUS files are in the same folder, usually C:\ibi\apps\app-name.

I would like to separate the HTML files from the fex files to simulate the files being on different machines.

For the HTML files I'm guessing I can modify the location from the WF Administration Console > Configuration > General > APPROOT Location of the Application Namespace root directory on the Web server where WebFOCUS is installed. The default directory is installationdrive:\ibi\apps unless a different directory was specified during the installation of the WebFOCUS Client.

What do I do for the WebFOCUS files? I thought I would move the WebFOCUS files to another location on my workstation but what next? I can only think of Mapping the application folders and then adding them to the APP PATH, but mapping them isn't exactly simulating the three-tier environment, I thought I would find some configuration setting to define where the app folders are.

Thank you,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I would leave approot pointing to ibi/apps.

You could possibly change the reporting server application directory by going to the edaserve.cfg file for the Dev Studio local server and change this line:

approot = drive:\ibi\apps

to point somewhere else.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ginny, thanks for the information.

I change the approot setting in edaserve.cfg to
approot = C:\ibi\apps_edaserve

but there may be more to change because now there is no APP PATH, even though APP PATH \is configured in edasprof.prf.

And now, for some reason I get a server error (I didn't change anything except the above statement, which I have also tried resetting back to the default):

Server is in SAFE MODE due to the following configuration error

'admin_id' has no valid member >>>>> fix now

I don't know why this error pops up after changing the approot setting, but I can't seem to fix this.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Maybe it doesn't work because there no true web client in the local Dev Studio config.

I assume you have repaired edaserve.cfg and it still doesn't work?

Look for admin.cfg in the profiles directory under the srv76 directory.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I repaired edaserve.cfg and admin.cfg is OK. The odd thing is that I can successfully login with the admin id as specified in admin.cfg nd then I get the error about admin_id no configured! All because I changed one line in edaserve.cfg!

A reinstall may be called for.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Just change the alias "/approot" to point to a different directory. Leave the WFS/WFC alone ... that takes a lot more effort.

e.g.

/approot => \ibi\apps_web

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
dhagen, thanks I'll give that a try.

Any idea why I have the admin_id problem?

Cheers,

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Actually this can be done but can lead to problems and IBI will not support it if you have any problems. There really is a WebFOCUS Client installed wioth developer studio. This is the default installation directory C:\ibi\DevStudio76\client. I do not want you goto into detail as I said it will not be supported by IBI.

Scott

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis.

If you wish to simulate a 3-tier environemnt, you can't do this by just using DevStudio alone.
You need to have DS, the webfocus client and a separate server active.
Normally you would have DS and WebFOCUS Client point to the same location on the webserver machine, and have the server look at its own directories.
That means that the approot alias in the webserver and the value for it in the cgivars.wfs file point to the same physical location, on the webserver machine.
The server points to its own location, using the setting in edaserve.cfg.
The Safe mode of the server is probably caused by the fact that your new server-approot directory (in your case the c:\ibi\apps_edaserve dir) does not contain the profiles directory, or if it does, that the admin.cfg file is missing from it. This is the directory the non DS-server will look in for retrieving the profile info.

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The server approot directory does not contain the profiles directory - it is in the ibi directory where it was installed. The profiles directory contains one file called admin.cfg, created during installation. The contents are

admin_id = OFFICE\fmarian
BEGIN
  admin_password = 5C944A4E95D9550F878797D4AE4F4F32
  admin_level = SRV
END
created during installation.

I'm not as interested in the three tier solution (I think dhagen's answer makes the most sense) as I am in fixing the "Server is in SAFE MODE" problem, which I am getting even though I restored the edaserve.cfg file.

Thanks.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I solved the admin_id problem! I have restarted the server, rebooted the PC to no avail. I tried stopping the service and restarting with security off - still had problems. Then I tried turning security OFF and then to OPSYS from the WebFOCUS Server Console and that seems to have resolved the problem. Strange.

As per dhagen's suggestion, I changed the Web Server alias to point to C:\ibi\apps_web and I can now separate my HTML from my WebFOCUS.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
One ongoing problem I had with this configuration is that Developer Studio could not find my web files - for Web Applications, it just pointed to the same apps directory as Data Servers, even though I separated the FOCUS files from the web files.

I just read something that corrected the Dev Studio issue!

quote:

The cgivars.wfs file contains the APPROOT variable for the WebFOCUS Application Root directories. Typically these files include HTML pages, graphic images, Cascading Style Sheets, and JavaScript files. The cgivars.wfs file is located in: install_drive:\ibi\WebFOCUS76\client\wfc\etc

The edaserve.cfg file contains the APPROOT variable for the WebFOCUS Reporting Server's Application Root directory. Typically these files include procedures, WebFOCUS StyleSheets, and customized HTML pages that require processing on the Reporting Server. The edaserve.cfg file is located in: install_drive:\ibi\srv76\wfs\bin

I simply changed the APPROOT variable in cgivars.wfs and now Dev Studio finds my web files! I always thought WebFOCUS used the Web Application Server (Tomcat) context for APPROOT, but I was mistaken.

Quite happy, moi!

Francis