Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
EXL2K and SQUEEZE
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Why is it that the width of the columns in an Excel spreadsheet generated by format EXL2K does not correspond to the data within?

I have to use TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=x, SQUEEZE=n to change the width of the columns even though I have TYPE=REPORT, SQUEEZE=ON.

And, according to the manual, SQUEEZE=n is supposed to be used for PDF and PS only, but it works for EXL2K.

Thank you.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Additionally, something weird (a bug) occurs when using the SQUEEZE command in conjunction with the SEQUENCE command.

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT EXL2K
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=MODEL, SEQUENCE=1, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=COUNTRY, SQUEEZE=6.0, COLOR=BLUE, $
ENDSTYLE
END

The column size change does not happen to COUNTRY, but to MODEL.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Pfrancis, what's the SEQUENCE command? never seen that one before.
Oh..i see..i looked it up. hmmm. that could be useful...glad you brought it up.
sorry its giving you probs;

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah, one example of the SEQUENCE command being really handy is if you want to make the row total the first column.

PS. "Pfrancis", are you being sly or was that a typo?! Smiler )

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Is there something special you need to make this work? I'm trying to control columns in
EXL2K and it is just plain ignoring me and not changing.
According to the documentation it should work for EXL2k as well. I'm using 5.3.4
Am I missing something?
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
PAGESIZE='LEGAL',
ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE,$
TYPE=REPORT,
SQUEEZE=ON,
GRID=ON,$
TYPE=REPORT,COLUMN=DIFF_PD ,SQUEEZE=7.5,$
TYPE=REPORT,COLUMN=DIFF_1 ,SQUEEZE=7.5,$
TYPE=REPORT,COLUMN=CW_A_DELV_CPG ,SQUEEZE=7.5,$
TYPE=REPORT,COLUMN=DIFF_PD_DE ,SQUEEZE=7.5,$
ENDSTYLE
END

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I do not see anywhere in the documentation that this is supported for EXL2K. Can you post where you see this in the documentation?

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
WRAP and SQUEEZE are supported for EXL2K hold format.

IBI Doc.Ref.:
Controlling Column Width and Wrapping in Excel 2000

The following example works fine (WF 7.1):

TABLE FILE CAR
  SUM 
    SALES
  BY COUNTRY
  BY CAR
  BY MODEL
  ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
  ON TABLE SET STYLE *
    TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=COUNTRY, SQUEEZE=2, $
    TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=CAR, SQUEEZE=2, $
    TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=MODEL, SQUEEZE=3, $
END

Regards,
Mikel

WebFOCUS 8.1.05, 8.2.01

Posts: 173 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: May 09, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
sly

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I've always used WRAP and have had no problems at all:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=COUNTRY, WRAP=2, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=CAR, WRAP=1, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=MODEL, WRAP=1, $
END

WF 5.3.3

Ken

Prod - WF 7.6.4 Unix/Solaris - Self-Service, BI Dashboard, MRE
Dev - WF 7.6.4 Unix/Solaris - Self-Service, BI Dashboard, MRE
Databases: Oracle 10g, SQL Server 2000, DB2.

Posts: 177 | Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 25, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes the documentation was for 7.1 after further investigation. Nope Wrap does not work either.
One problem was the columns were averaged. AVE.DIFF_PD AVE.DIFF_1 added that to the actual column name...did not work. The final problem seems to be, this is compound Excel...with the exact same columns in each sheet...just subtotaled different...and so squeezing or wrapping does not work. If I just run the first one, with WRAP and AVE. added to the stylesheet it works.
So guess it is the Compound Sheet.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the column formatting options are ignored if you are using compound reports with the output to one worksheet. If you can split the output to different worksheets than you can use the column formatting. The limitation is due to the fact you cannot have different widths for a column in an Excel report and WEBFOCUS does not know that the formats being requested are all the same for a compound request so it ignores the code.

Posts: 11 | Location: Information Builders Inc | Registered: April 15, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the confirmation.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'm having difficulty understanding EvelynS's reply.

"you cannot have different widths for a column in an Excel report" - I did not know that was true. Why, then, has K.Lane successfully used WRAP and Mikel successfully used SQUEEZE?

"WEBFOCUS does not know that the formats being requested are all the same for a compound request so it ignores the code" - why, then, are we allowed to code different style sheets for each report in a compound report?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

<Patch4Ever>
posted
Francis
Has anybody responded to your question regarding Squeezing and Column Sizing? I am just now finishing up a compound excel report and would love to know what is working and what is not. Thanks for any additional information!

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There has been no response, so I abandoned ship.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

<Patch4Ever>
posted
That's not good. I will get back to you if I find anything once I start testing. Smiler

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to jump in here and say that I was successful using WRAP to control Excel column widths in a compound Excel report.

It was just what I needed, when I needed it, so thanks to k.lane for the tip.

BTW: We are running 7.1.4

Dennis

Local: AppStudio 8.2.03 - Win7 - Tomcat Server: WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise on VMWare 2 CPU, 3.2GHz, 4GB of RAM Output Formats: HTML, Excel, PDF, PPT, Active Reports

Posts: 38 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: March 16, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Squeezes, but mucks up the multi-line Column Title:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM 
SALES AS 'THIS IS THE,SALES,COLUMN'
BY COUNTRY AS 'THIS IS THE,COUNTRY,COLUMN'
BY CAR AS 'THIS IS THE,CAR,COLUMN'
BY MODEL AS 'THIS IS THE,MODEL,COLUMN'

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=COUNTRY, SQUEEZE=1, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=SALES, SQUEEZE=1, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=CAR, SQUEEZE=1, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=MODEL, SQUEEZE=1, $
END

Works:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM 
SALES AS 'THIS IS THE,SALES,COLUMN'
BY COUNTRY AS 'THIS IS THE,COUNTRY,COLUMN'
BY CAR AS 'THIS IS THE,CAR,COLUMN'
BY MODEL AS 'THIS IS THE,MODEL,COLUMN'

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=COUNTRY, WRAP=1, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=SALES, WRAP=1, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=CAR, WRAP=1, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=MODEL, WRAP=1, $
END

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=COUNTRY, SQUEEZE = .50,$

will work without mucking up the column totals.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post