Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How do I create a subset of a table?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How do I create a subset of a table?
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Does IDMS have a FASTLOAD/FASTUNLOAD kind of program? We used that when we had an enormous amount of data in DB2 tables and that solved the problem. Used the Fast Unload to extract a specific time period, then Fast Load to build the smaller file and then Focus/WebFOCUS to write the reports at the end.

Worked great.

Vivian

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

WebFOCUS Keysheet Rel. 8.0.2
(Almost) 1001 Ways to Work with Dates thru Rel. 8.0.2
Focus since 1982
WebFOCUS since the beginning
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'd love to know what the overhead is for WHERE over IF.

A millisecond or two ?, or is it related to when the data is being extracted, and then related to each row returned ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waz,

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you please suggest any non-FOCUS method in which I can extract the data?

I'm not that familiar with IDMS, it was a general suggestion. How would others in your organisation read from the IDMS db ?

Vivian suggestion an IDMS FASTUNLOAD utility

Also do you know all the indexes that exist on the table ?, others may be useful in getting better performance.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Sussanah,

I have coded as suggested by you and I see that the Master file is also created. But when I try to get the sample data from the master file, I get the below error message:

0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 38 IN PROCEDURE _wcsmpldata
(FOC036) NO DATA FOUND FOR THE FOCUS FILE NAMED: MMIS/ACCVAL

The code looks like below:

APP HOLD MMIS
DEFINE FILE CSBILLCH
TYPEBILL/A1=EDIT(I2586_BILL_TYPE_CODE,'9$$');
BILL/A3=DECODE TYPEBILL(1 'ACT' 2 'EST' 3 'CUS' 4 'ADJ' 5 'PAY'
6 'IDC' 7 'MIS' 8 'REF' 9 'FRS');
YY/A2 = EDIT(I2582_BILL_GEN_DATE,'99$$$$');
MM/A2 = EDIT(I2582_BILL_GEN_DATE,'$$99$$');
NY/I3 = EDIT(YY);
NM/I3 = EDIT(MM);
CRAPFY/I3 = IF NM GE 07 THEN NY + 1 ELSE NY;
FY/A2 = EDIT(CRAPFY,'$99');
END
TABLE FILE CSBILLCH
COUNT I2511_CODE_ID_CSACCT/I9 AS 'ACCT1'
BY FY
BY MM
BY I2582_BILL_GEN_DATE AS 'GEN_DT'
IF I2586_BILL_TYPE_CODE NE '5$$'
IF FY EQ '14'
IF RECORDLIMIT EQ 10
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE HOLD AS ACCVAL FORMAT FOCUS INDEX I2582_BILL_GEN_DATE
END

APP HOLD

Also, when I right-click and select 'Edit Access file as text' on the master file, I get the below error:

(FOC1562) EDAGET:FILE mmis/accval NOT FOUND.

May I know whats wrong with my code?

Thanks
Teju

Product & Release: WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Op. Sys: Linux for x64 64 bit
O/P formats: HTML & PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
Teju,
Indexed fields are a maximum of 12 bytes.

APP HOLD MMIS
DEFINE FILE CSBILLCH
GEN_DT/A8 = I2582_BILL_GEN_DATE;
TYPEBILL/A1=EDIT(I2586_BILL_TYPE_CODE,'9$$');
BILL/A3=DECODE TYPEBILL(1 'ACT' 2 'EST' 3 'CUS' 4 'ADJ' 5 'PAY'
6 'IDC' 7 'MIS' 8 'REF' 9 'FRS');
YY/A2 = EDIT(I2582_BILL_GEN_DATE,'99$$$$');
MM/A2 = EDIT(I2582_BILL_GEN_DATE,'$$99$$');
NY/I3 = EDIT(YY);
NM/I3 = EDIT(MM);
CRAPFY/I3 = IF NM GE 07 THEN NY + 1 ELSE NY;
FY/A2 = EDIT(CRAPFY,'$99');
END
TABLE FILE CSBILLCH
COUNT I2511_CODE_ID_CSACCT/I9 AS 'ACCT1'
BY FY
BY MM
BY GEN_DT
IF I2586_BILL_TYPE_CODE NE '5$$'
IF FY EQ '14'
IF RECORDLIMIT EQ 10
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE HOLD AS ACCVAL FORMAT FOCUS INDEX GEN_DT
END
-EXIT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
names of indexedfields have to be 12 characters or fewer in length. someone here has already told you that.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Tom & Susannah,

Thanks a lot for responding.

I have tried reducing the indexed fields to A8 as you said but I still get the same error messages.

I am not sure where I went wrong.

Thanks
Teju

Expert
posted Hide Post
No such thing as an Access file for FOCUS databases.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have tried reducing the indexed fields to A8 as you said but I still get the same error messages

As previously mentioned, indexed field NAMES are a maximum of 12 bytes, the limit is not on the format "A8"...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Ok..But I have both my indexed field name and also the format within 12 bytes.

But no luck.

Thanks
Teju

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Friends,

I can see my master file with SUFFIX=FOC. But all the master files that I have come across has their SUFFIX=IDMSR.

What is the difference between SUFFIX=FOC & SUFFIX=IDMSR?

Can anyone help me out to create a master file with SUFFIX=IDMSR?

Thanks
Teju

Expert
posted Hide Post
Teju,

You have some learning to do.

FOC is a FOCUS database. IDMSR is most likely an IDMS mainframe database table.

I don't think you can create IDMSR database tables.

What you're trying to do should be done by the ETL group in your company.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
Also, I think your admin is a bit lazy.

Big Grin I was thinking the same thing.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
I have seen DBA's treat there databases and tables like a baby, and getting indexes added can be quite hard.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Master
posted Hide Post
Teju,

I worked with you at this client from January to March of this year. During this tenure you were coached several times that IDMS files cannot be indexed as FOCUS files can.

I also gave you a “FOCUS for the Mainframe” manual with specially marked pages which clearly explained the difference between SUFFIX=FOC & SUFFIX=IDMS, and other particulars of Information Builders’ products.

The errors you have cited,
0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 38 IN PROCEDURE _wcsmpldata
(FOC036) NO DATA FOUND FOR THE FOCUS FILE NAMED: MMIS/ACCVALiF

You may recall I received this sort of APP allocation error at this client as well. When we presented it to the IBI help desk it was explained that this particular installation of WebFOCUS is problematic with regard to allocating temporary files.

I suggest that you review the copious notes you took during our work time and the reading material I gave to you at this client. You will find that the issues you are having now are not new ones.

Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tomsweb,

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
APP Studio, Developer Studio, InfoAssist, Dashboards, charts & reports
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post