Focal Point
Caster "FROM" field, question - a network/exchange issue

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3891063152

October 11, 2007, 02:03 PM
susannah
Caster "FROM" field, question - a network/exchange issue
Is this a 'Caster' situation or a 'mail server' situation?
My FROM field in Caster seems to be able to take anything i want to put in it...like the usual 'somename@someserver.com' or even 'George Clooney' without anything else.
If i send to an external HOTMAIL, say, address, its comes thru fine.
If i send to the internal or to some external with exchange server, it always comes thru as my name, the name of the sender on the network, not even the name of the MRE loggedin user, just the name of the network login.
Networking and mail servers are beyond me.
Is there anything i can do in Caster to force the 'FROM' name to persist across whatever forces of nature it encounters?
Is it Friday yet??

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
October 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
N.Selph
That's interesting. Mine always comes through with what I put in the FROM, even on our internal email (which uses Exchange Server). However our WF Distribution Server is on UNIX, and so the email does not originate on Microsoft, but gets to the Exchange Server later.

I don't understand the system any better than that, unfortunatly.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)
October 11, 2007, 05:56 PM
TexasStingray
I believe it all depends on how the SMTP mail server is setup, it may also be on how the report caster distribution server is set to run (as a system account or a local account on NT for example).

Scott

hmm. can you expand on that a bit, Tex? What could i go 'check' in the caster console that would give a clue as to how it was setup, 'system' or 'local'?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
Susannah,

I am referring to how the service starts under Windows. On the proprties of the service and logon tab. There is Local System Account and this Account radio buttons. I am not 100% sure but it is just a thought that I may make a difference.

Tex

Scott

On the ReportCaster Server Configuration...on the General Tab...theres a Default Setting...and "From" is something that can be filled out...anyone know if that could make a difference?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
its just the default for all newly created tasks, so that you don't have to keep typing in whatever every time. thanx for the thought.

Back in 2006 this issue was researched by ReportCaster programming under case 10062120.
Programming worked with our internal computer services department and verified the FROM value is known as Display Name. The default in Microsoft Exchange Mail Servers is resolving the Display Name. Meaning it would be mappped
to the internal information stored in LDAP (typically Active Directory on Windows) to what information they want to display vs. what was sent.
I cannot provide the exact information on what the setting is as the information varies across versions of Exchange. At the time our computer
services department provided the following links that we gave to the customer to provide to their email system administrators to review.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288635
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174755/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;242301
Hope this helps. (It is finally Friday!)

Susan Trommer
Information Builders
bless your heart, Susan. that's very helpful. thank you all for your replies.

Susannah,
Did you resolve this issue? I'm having a similar problem where I specify "DTNA Warranty Recovery" in the FROM field, along with a "NoReply@Daimler.com" in the REPLY TO field, but when the e-mail arrives it show the NoReply address and ignores the FROM field. It used to say "DTNA Warranty Recovery [NoReply@Daimler.com"]. I'm pretty sure it is something that changed in the email server.

Any insights?

WF 7.6.6, FOCUS 7.6.4, IBM MVS/TSO, Windows 2003 Server, DB2, MSSQL