Focal Point
[CLOSED] Webfocus Developer Studio versus App studio versus Business user edition

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3897014786

August 03, 2017, 11:39 AM
Suga
[CLOSED] Webfocus Developer Studio versus App studio versus Business user edition
Hi, I am very new to Webfocus. I would like to create reports in report painter using WebFocus Dev studio. When I create Reporting object, how do I create measures and dimensions formed from different tables? Please provide me tutorial link for WebFocus Dev studio.

Also, I would like to know the differences between WebFocus Dev Studio,App studio,Business user edition,Focus and other tools. Please assist.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
August 03, 2017, 11:53 AM
BabakNYC
Have you search for these on informationbuilders.com?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
August 03, 2017, 12:47 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Hi Suga

Welcome to Focal Point, it is a great resource for getting answers to your development questions.

For your question abut Reporting Objects. They are one way of providing meta data to the end-user for report creation. The most common way is to create what is called a cluster joined master file where you pre-join all the tables you want the users to use. By default any field that is alpha will become a dimension and numeric fields are measures when the 'Logical View' in InfoAssist is used. If you really want to customize your dimensions and measures you can use the Dimension View or Business View which are features of the master file when opened in the Master file painter under App Studio or Dev Studio.

For your second question I will try to explain this in a nutshell. App Studio is the replacement for Dev Studio. Dev Studio is no longer supported with version 8.2 of WebFOCUS. These tools are the developers tool for creating WebFOCUS applicaitions (ie. Reports, Charts, HTML interfaces etc). If you are on version 8.1 or above you should be using App Studio. The Business User Edition and InfoAssist + are a End User development tool for creation of reports, charts and visualizations. It allows them to upload their own data to report against. You can not create HTML interfaces with the Business User editon or InfoAssist +. FOCUS is the 4GL language generated by WebFOCUS App Studio, Dev Studio, Business User Edition and InfoAssist +. There is also a FOCUS database that can be used for storing data.

Hope this helps clarify this for you.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats