Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Webfocus Developer Studio versus App studio versus Business user edition

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Webfocus Developer Studio versus App studio versus Business user edition
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I am very new to Webfocus. I would like to create reports in report painter using WebFocus Dev studio. When I create Reporting object, how do I create measures and dimensions formed from different tables? Please provide me tutorial link for WebFocus Dev studio.

Also, I would like to know the differences between WebFocus Dev Studio,App studio,Business user edition,Focus and other tools. Please assist.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Have you search for these on informationbuilders.com?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Suga

Welcome to Focal Point, it is a great resource for getting answers to your development questions.

For your question abut Reporting Objects. They are one way of providing meta data to the end-user for report creation. The most common way is to create what is called a cluster joined master file where you pre-join all the tables you want the users to use. By default any field that is alpha will become a dimension and numeric fields are measures when the 'Logical View' in InfoAssist is used. If you really want to customize your dimensions and measures you can use the Dimension View or Business View which are features of the master file when opened in the Master file painter under App Studio or Dev Studio.

For your second question I will try to explain this in a nutshell. App Studio is the replacement for Dev Studio. Dev Studio is no longer supported with version 8.2 of WebFOCUS. These tools are the developers tool for creating WebFOCUS applicaitions (ie. Reports, Charts, HTML interfaces etc). If you are on version 8.1 or above you should be using App Studio. The Business User Edition and InfoAssist + are a End User development tool for creation of reports, charts and visualizations. It allows them to upload their own data to report against. You can not create HTML interfaces with the Business User editon or InfoAssist +. FOCUS is the 4GL language generated by WebFOCUS App Studio, Dev Studio, Business User Edition and InfoAssist +. There is also a FOCUS database that can be used for storing data.

Hope this helps clarify this for you.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post