Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Info Assist Performance

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Info Assist Performance
 Login/Join

posted
Does any one else experience what I am experiencing with Info Assist for Dashboards.... and that is just horrible, horrible, horrible performance. You can not ever get a report to even run in a new window the page is always just a blank white page with nothing on it. If you run in Single Window it will just spin forever and never show the report or graphs. Even when you apply multiple filters and try to say show only 10 records still nothing shows. And trying to develop in it is almost as slow and painful. Takes 10 minutes to change a label.

We are on version 7.72 not 7.6 as is stated

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.72
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to InfoAssist for Dashboards but I can tell you that we gave up on InfoAssist due to it's poor performance. We didn't experience nearly the issues that you are having but it is so slow that now we call it "InfoResist". LOL

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you take your code out of IA and run it (post it within the code tags)?

Are you using "Query" or "Interactive" mode while developing?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Norb:
quote:
we gave up on InfoAssist due to it's poor performance
It's not always IA...

Can you duplicate your issues "on demand". Are these issues ALWAYS CONSISTENTLY SLOW?

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
When I code the same query in DevStudio's text editor the fex screams. Just moving around in IA and dealing with the interface is just sllllloooooooowwww. It's been so long since I've futzed with it because I just couldn't waste time like that. I'll have to revisit it.

Thanks,

Norb

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
First off: Make sure you're using "Query" mode, not "Interactive" mode while developing.

Next: Do a SQL Trace and verify that you're aggragating properly.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. I'll look at this. And I thought "InfoResist" was pretty funny! No?

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought "InfoResist" was pretty funny!
Yes... Altough it shouldn't be... Wink

Expert
posted Hide Post
BTW: I opened a case on a similar item. But, before we did that, we verified that:
   1) We were using Query mode, and
   2) we ere using Sample data.

If either of you, or anyone else for taht matter, opens a case. Pleae include a reference to my case number 71922548, "InfoAssit -- slow response time with tools"

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Norb and Doug,

I was also complaining about the speed of the Infoassist interface. Just unusable. But that was with 7.6.9.

With an upgrade to 7.6.11, the speed increased markedly, which made it bearable.

What made a dramatic jump in speed was getting a much faster PC last month. I'm currently on an I5 Win7 32bit, 4gb ram, 3.2ghz. While Infoassist does not scream, it's now acceptably robust. Even with Interactive ON.

The interface is mostly written with AJAX technology and the speed, it seems, is going to be largly dependent on the speed of your hardware. Users with older PC's (meaning slower CPU and smaller memory footprint) will continue to have a frustrating experience.

We will be moving to 7.7.03 in a month or 2 (or 3) and it will be interesting to see the speed of Infoassist/InfoMini.

David

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
7.7.03 is much improved in speed even using Info Assist, including graphs.

Kathy Phillips
Web FOCUS 8.2.05.14, 8.1.05, 8.08, 8.0.7, 8.0.5,8.0.2m, 7.6.10,7.7.03
Windows

Posts: 118 | Location: Livonia, MI | Registered: March 27, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Sue,

I checked with our product management group and was suggested that, we do see some performance problems, but not on this scale, so a case with Customer Support Services will be needed for further research. If you do not have a case opened, please call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
DavSmith,
So, a slow PC produces slow responses. Music

Master
posted Hide Post
Do you have Tomcat operating in mixed mode or do you have a separate web server installed and handling the HTML serving functions? Rendering/Serving HTML via Tomcat isn't going to win any rendering records...

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes we are running Tomcat so this could contribute to the issue. I also am using an older laptop and we are running 7.6.9. Lot's of variables that would affect performance as I've been reading.

We are slated to upgrade to 7.0.3 and a new laptop for myself. I'll have to look at this more later.

Thanks to All,

Norb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Norb Eckert,

<MLerner>
posted
Sue, Doug, Norb, Dave, Kathy, ABT, and anyone else.

I am the Information Builders Product Manager for InfoAssist.

Norb, "InfoResist" made me laugh and cry at the same time. That is very clever.

I would be happy to work directly with any of you to look into any performance problems you are having. Feel free to message me here or email me directly at matthew_lerner@ibi.com

As touched on the amount of memory, cpu speed, etc. on the end user's machine will greatly effect any front end interactions. As will the web browser.

If you are using IE you should be on at least IE 8. That said IE 8 will perform significantly worse than IE 9 and the latest versions of Chrome/FireFox. This has to do with the JavaScript engines in the browsers.

So if you get a new machine like Dave did with Windows 7 you would notice considerable gains in performance. In fact the newer browsers are so fast that sometime InfoAssist finishes loading before the images all download resulting in things having a slow appearance when in fact they were very fast.

Another thing that will of course matter is the hardware of any server (application, reporting, & database). Properly designing your database with indexes, etc. will also change things.

We are actively looking into performance problems through out InfoAssist including document mode.

While using Query mode during design does work you should not need to resort to that. Be assured we are putting a lot of emphasis on InfoAssist performance right now.

Again, if you would like to discuss any problems you are having feel free to contact me. If not, just know we are taking this very seriously and I hope to never see the term "InfoResist" again,

Regards,
Matthew

PS. Please excuse me if there are any delays in my responsiveness as I will be out of the office the remainder of the week.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Old thread, but just wanted to comment that I too had a horrible experience with InfoAssist aka InfoResist. Extremely slow and choppy, buggy and crashing randomly, basically unusable for building reports. Our solution was to upgrade to Developer Studio, which I didn't even know existed until I heard about it. I hope others don't think InfoAssist is the only cream of the crop to go up against MicroStrategy/Cognos/BO - DevStudio is what you need! Never touching InfoAssist again.

wFDS: 7.7.03, OS: Windows, Output: Mostly Excel

<MLerner>
posted
reportmasterlvl3,

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. My team and I would be happy to work with you to resolve any issues. That said, Developer Studio is a more powerful, though complex tool. If you are very happy there, I would stay with it.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Regards,
Matthew

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
WF 8006 is no better

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
WF 8006 is no better

Get yourselves a solid state drive for the server and your local machine. Everything is lightning fast now. :P

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server